Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Joseyrose1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by Joseyrose1 »

If you don't have the brightness up too high or the font too small I seriously doubt it's harmful at all. Plus Amazon readers now have a softer type non-glare screens.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

My e-reader doesn’t bother my eyes in the slightest.
CliffordPhillips

Post by CliffordPhillips »

Forms of digital screen like smart phones, tablets, televisions and computers can harmful affects on your eyes.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think it is mostly a myth, but if you strain your eyes and you spend too much time reading, you can hurt your eyes.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think that even reading a paperback book can damage your eyes if you read for hours constantly, so it has to do with how much time you spend reading, not if it an e-book or paperback book.
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

I think the claim that it can damage your eyes comes from constantly being focused on something so close to your face (as compared to looking out the window for example) which is also a problem with physical books. I do get some eye strain if I am looking at anything close to my face for too long, so I try to take "focused looking" breaks every half hour or so.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I have never experienced many issues, although I get eye strain from long hours of computer or e-reader work. I would just say to take frequent breaks, try to not to have the screen too close to your eyes, and adjust the brightness. Hope that helps!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

It does damage the eyes indeed, I even get headaches if I strain my eyes too much.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Mwila_wise
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwila-wise.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mwila_wise »

My opinion about ebooks destroying is positive because most of college graduates experience failure of reading accompanied by headaches and stress.
DesiiEdge

Post by DesiiEdge »

I believe it’s no better than someone using their phone just to read a book or anything of the sort.
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

The act of reading in a tablet or cellphone wiout the appropiate protection can cause severe sigth damage. It is a fact, buth the e-readers are flour of another bag.

The e-reader acts ike a magnetic board. So the ink in reality its magnetic one and orders itself acording to electric estimulus. no harmfull emisions there. The led pad benid the displays emits blue ligth so its a litle bit harmfull but again with appropiate protection it is relatively safe.

So if the reader has the ligths of it is safe. if it have the ligts on requires protection for safe reading. Also it do not tire out the sigth so you must remmeber to take pauses to prevent damages.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

It gets a bit tiring once in a while. Mostly when you read on a light screen for too long. While I got used to it, it does damage your eyes where you kind of need to close your eyes a bit and just take a break.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

Scott wrote: 19 Jan 2015, 01:32 Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.
Are smartphones and televisions really the same? I learned that they give off different light frequencies and thus have different affects on people looking at them.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I have noticed my eyes tend to hurt if I am reading on my kindle for too long. But then I can just turn off the back light like some other the other people are saying. Then it really is just like reading paper, although it does look a little greyer than paper.
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by xuanmaii »

I think it would if you use devices like phones or tablets, but I have seen a lot of booktubers stating that if you own a Kindle it would not hurt your eyesight that badly

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”