Shifting to Ebooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Shifting to Ebooks

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

I don't remember the exact moment I started reading ebooks. I just got myself in the world of ebooks starting by reading short informative texts. I see some people having hard time shifting from hard copy books to ebooks. Do you think the process is hard? Why?
Winter44
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter44.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Winter44 »

For someone who grew up seeing technology advance so quickly, it wasn't a very difficult transition but I imagine it would be quite tough if you spent the most time of your life reading physical books. It would take some time to get used to not being able to feel the paper between your fingers, and not being able to smell the familiar smell of a book.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I understand the struggle and have gone through it myself recently. Physical books have a tangible quality about them that ebooks can't replicate: feeling each page as you turn it, the smell, the shrinking clump of pages that signals it's almost complete, and most importantly, the bookcase trophy which doubles as a decoration and a reminder. For all those reasons, I don't think physical books and ebooks will ever be able to fully compare. However, starting to more and more, recently I've been able to appreciate the efficiency of ebooks. I don't have to wait for them to be delivered, don't have to lug them around with me, can leave notes and highlights easily, and have access to a much wider range of books in a very compact form. It's starting to gain my appreciation :)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”