Reading in the modern age

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Omarflor
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omarflor.html

Reading in the modern age

Post by Omarflor »

I'm not quite sure where this topic would go exactly but i feel this is as good of a place as any.

Now a days there is so many ways to read a book. There's the classic book(just a normal book), e-books on computers, tablets, e-reader, audio.

If given a choice I always choose a physical copy. I feel its much more comfortable and hurts my eyes less (i have extremely weak eyes.)

Whats your favorite form of reading? Do you dabble between all the options or strictly stay with one type? Does it depend on what the situation (maybe audio book for the car)?
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I love to dabble between the physical and he electronic book. The electronic books I get for free (public domain) or discounted and lets me expand my literary library more cheaply than the conventional way. I struggle with the audiobook because I can never give it my full attention and I always end up missing things.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I dabble with both, but lately read more on my kindle. It depends on what format I got the book, and on the availability of the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dipdrops2003
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dipdrops2003.html
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by dipdrops2003 »

If given a choice, I would prefer a physical copy of a book to enjoy. Currently, I find myself reading mainly e-books on my laptop or kindle for school purposes and notice my preference for physical books at that point. The price of an e-book is sometimes more appealing than a physical copy. However, I still would like that book in my hand and be able to physically turn the pages.
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also dabble with both. I love reading a physical book, but sometimes it is hard to travel with a big book. Because of this, I find reading on the kindle is easier to carry (since I carry some form of a book everywhere I go :))
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I feel, as it is with most things, that we tend to prefer that with which we have become acclimated through practice. Though I own a Kindle, and have for the sake of convenience used it when I am away from home, I find that when given the choice I much prefer to read a physical book. Old habits die hard. I think future generations will probably marvel at our willingness to allow ourselves to be encumbered by the inefficiency of paper books with regard to both the difficulty of transporting them about as well as the physical space required to store them.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bekkilyn »

It's the words that matter most to me and not the format. I find reading on my iPod to be the easiest and most convenient, but outside of that feature, I don't really have a preference as long as the words are there and I can see them!
rainyday
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rainyday »

Physical copies. I love the sensation of a world opening in my hands. Also, I couldn't live without smelling books.
Daphni
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=15864">A Game of Thrones</a>
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphni.html

Post by Daphni »

I read both e-book and regular paperback, I love them both, they each have their pros and cons. For example, an e-reader is more durable, it also allows for more space on your shelves, your floors, and tables, it hides your addiction. But you don't get that amazing book smell from an e-reader as you would a book, also you lose that deep connection with a book you get from turning it's pages. So, I say flaunt your addiction and embrace it, let your books pile high on every possible surface but take your e-reader outside to not let them be damaged from the outside world.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I prefer physical books, but I read more e-books now because they are friendlier on my wallet.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely prefer reading physical books but I end up reading more ebooks because it's so convenient and is cheaper. I definitely prefer audiobooks the least because I have a short attention span and can't keep up sometimes.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I think there's nothing like reading physical books but reading ebooks has its own charm and convenience that's why i mostly read ebooks nowadays.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Bluroostr1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluroostr1.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Bluroostr1 »

When I get the chance to delve into a good book, I usually prefer paperback. The feel, the smell, even the crinkle of the pages represent an experience I always relish to return too.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I don't mind both but I prefer an actual book
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Mastodon_70
Currently Reading: I'm the Man: The Story of That Guy from Anthrax
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mastodon_70 »

When my book collection got too large, I switched to e-Reader. I don't mind either one, as long as I'm reading.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”