Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
minnieminx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minnieminx.html

Listening to Audio books

Post by minnieminx »

Hi i have a voucher for audio books but i have never listened to one before and i was wondering if you get the same satisfaction listening to a book rather than reading it. Or i would like to know if you listened to audio books what did you think of it
bumblebea0830

Post by bumblebea0830 »

I've attempted an audio book one time and I honestly didn't like it. I didn't get the same feeling of pleasure from listening to a person read me the book as I get from reading it myself.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I love listening to audiobooks! It is especially great if you have the right person or persons reading it. :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
RachelErmutlu
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelermutlu.html
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by RachelErmutlu »

I have not listened to audiobooks because I feel it would not be the same as reading a book. I am a fast reader and I feel some people read audiobooks too slowly. It is also easier for me to pay attention when I am reading the book myself.
Cynbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynbooks.html

Post by Cynbooks »

I love listening to audiobooks when I have a busy schedule and don't have time to read the book. They are great for commuting and doing chores around the house. However, some audiobooks are tough to listen to depending on the narrators voice/performance.
HusseinE123

Post by HusseinE123 »

I think listening to it offers you a different feel of the story as it is as if you are being told it where reading one offeers you the story yet demands your full attention. It depends on the type of reader you are.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

Audiobooks are great if you're doing something rather mindless such as fishing, cleaning, or anything like that. I find it kind of hard to concentrate otherwise. But it certainly makes the time flow by. It's also a cool experience to listen to the audiobook and follow along with the book.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
Amje20101

Post by Amje20101 »

I have two small children and audiobooks are my saving grace. We don't have the tv on around them at all and there is only so much awkward toddlers silence/ random gibberish is can take. It's heaven to start the dishes and my book at the same time.
bthomas47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bthomas47.html

Post by bthomas47 »

I've enjoyed reading other's replies to this post because I was wondering the same. I get motion sick while reading in the car and I'm hoping this might be a new alternative to try.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

I also listen to quite a few audio books. I really like listening to books written by comedians and funny authors because theyre read by the author and I get to enjoy their jokes and stories in their voice with their comedic timing. Tina Fey, Billy Crystal, and Amy Poehler come to mind as favorites. I also am a sucker for accents, so listening to books from the UK or Australia, read by a native, are very enjoyable to me.
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

I can't stand audiobooks but i occasionally resort to them if the thing i'm reading has too little descriptive writing in which case it can be even more painful to read than listen to :evil: . So mostly pulp-fiction, surrealism or children's books.

However one pretty awesome thing to listen too instead of audiobooks is radiodrama's or plays :mrgreen: . There's a ton of old stuff out there for free on Librivox, Comic Book Plus, or Old Time Radio Fan.
https://librivox.org/
http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2792
http://www.otrfan.com/

Recommendations:
R.U.R. Rossum's Universal Robots (1922) https://librivox.org/rur-rossums-univer ... rel-capek/
Operation Luna (1953) http://www.otrfan.com/otr/jis/operation_luna.html
Betty Adams
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Betty Adams »

There is little I like better than reading a book but when driving or working with your hands sometimes that is not an option. I keep a supply of audiobooks always reading my my vehicles for those long drives. It beats listening to bad music and annoying talk show hosts.
MagsC
Currently Reading: House of Leaves
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magsc.html

Post by MagsC »

Generally speaking I enjoy audiobooks. I work from home and sometimes my job is very basic so audiobooks help me pass the time. I will say, I find it's easier to follow along to fiction versus a biography or history. Then again I think much of this depends on the voice actors. I have been experimenting a lot with them since I discovered you can get a virtual library card and listen to them through a computer or ipad.
mari_maria

Post by mari_maria »

I can not fully enjoy audiobooks...but unfortunately I don't have enough time for reading :(
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

I've attempted an audio book one time and I honestly didn't like it. I didn't get the same feeling of pleasure from listening to a person read me the book as I get from reading it myself.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”