Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Kids should read paperbacks. They should know how it feels to have a physical book in hand and flip through the pages. They are better than eBooks.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

I think that in paperback they could be more engaged into the book than in ebooks. My eyesight worsen when I read ebooks till dawn back in grade school. So I would definitely go with the paperback.
Arthur Muthee
Currently Reading: One Last Lie
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-muthee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arthur Muthee »

I feel they should be introduced to both. Ebooks are a great way to learn how to navigate the digital world, we are moving into, considering the fact that Online learning is taking shape. Finding a perfect balance to both is a great way to enhance their skills and proficiency.
DarleneCabrera
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlenecabrera.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by DarleneCabrera »

As a mom, i would love my daughter's to read an actual books.
Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by nothing happen at all, or by everything happen at once.

-Paulo Coelho
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Jamesmbugua
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamesmbugua »

Kids should use paperbacks their concentration is not as high so they should get used to paper before ebooks to help them control the distraction
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I think it's helpful to let them experience both. Eventually, they would develop their own preference. If you're concerned about mental health issues, what I can only say is that even an obsessive consumption of paperback stories is dangerous. It's up to the parent to guide (not enforce stuff to) his/her own child.
-rk
Denis Maina

Post by Denis Maina »

I do not agree with the fact that technology has taken over everything and is almost taking over book and pen which makes one feel honoured as a writer or a reader.Therefore kids should begin with material paper then proceed on to ebooks.I wish someone could support me on this point as much as im humbled we all make a discussion on this important topic.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Denis Maina wrote:I do not agree with the fact that technology has taken over everything and is almost taking over book and pen which makes one feel honoured as a writer or a reader.Therefore kids should begin with material paper then proceed on to ebooks.I wish someone could support me on this point as much as im humbled we all make a discussion on this important topic.
I do agree with your sentiments that technology can't replace everything, including those of paper and pen. Although, I can't see why kids should start with the material paper if they can just also start with e-books (as long as they know how to read). If you can make clear about this point, I would love to hear it.
-rk
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I think paper books are better for children. Children are notoriously careless with their things, and it's not a good idea to entrust them with more expensive items on a regular basis. Plus, there have been some studies about the health hazards of looking at LED screens for long periods of time, so it's probably best to limit our little ones' use of them.
I'd be more worried about the radiation & electrical field to be honest. I don't have an e-reader but the displays I've seen don't seem to be at all harsh on the eyes.

In this day & age though, I strongly feel that kids exposure to electronic devices should be curtailed. I allow my 4.5yo son to use my phone a little but I have no TV and he has almost access to my computer.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Zupanatural wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:I think paper books are better for children. Children are notoriously careless with their things, and it's not a good idea to entrust them with more expensive items on a regular basis. Plus, there have been some studies about the health hazards of looking at LED screens for long periods of time, so it's probably best to limit our little ones' use of them.
I'd be more worried about the radiation & electrical field to be honest. I don't have an e-reader but the displays I've seen don't seem to be at all harsh on the eyes.

In this day & age though, I strongly feel that kids exposure to electronic devices should be curtailed. I allow my 4.5yo son to use my phone a little but I have no TV and he has almost access to my computer.
Interesting. I never thought about the radiation from the gadgets. Although, I am curious as to what kind of "radiation" it is.
-rk
Bolze

Post by Bolze »

I guess both options have its advantages/disadvantages. Perhaps, preferences are up to the Parents if they’ll go for the traditional print or the digital books (ebooks). Some ‘Tech-Savy’ Parents, still chooses to have their kids to read prints over ebooks for no apparent reason at all. While some the opposite.
Kid’s generation now is quite fortunate from before. To recap, in my younger years I have to carry all my text/workbooks & it gives me back pain as it was too heavy. Assignments are done through manual reading & searching through encyclopedias/books. Still I missed those good old days because I get familiarize using this print. And you get to meet people who can be able to assist you or give good references. Now, kids can easily go to Computers & search answers to their assignments in less than an hour so plenty of time left.
The invention of ebooks, admittedly has its positive side. Kids will learn the technologies whilst no more carrying heavy books as I believe some schools allowed or issue electronic pads in this matter. But too much of anything can be a problem. ‘Medicine’ may not be my forte however potential problem is that if too much screen time for the kids it may affect their vision due to overexposure to harmful ‘blue light’. The outcome may not be visible at present time but later in life.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This struggle is soo real! I realized that too much use of electronics can harm kids, so I totally agree with most of you! I bought my daughter paperback and hardbound books instead. It's still so much different when reading it in paper.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I personally like the idea of my own kids just picking up a normal paperback or hardback book one of these days and just diving right into it. That's what I used to do, so hopefully I have at least one child that is similar to me in that area. I wouldn't really have a problem with my children reading e-books either though. I would push the normal paperback books on them first.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kelly00
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly00.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kelly00 »

I agree, as long as they are reading, I don't think it matters. I prefer paperback myself. I also like to curl up with a good read on a lazy afternoon!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
LKCooper
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Detective Agency
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by LKCooper »

Let them read the format of their choice, as long as they're reading. We love paperbacks because we grew up with them, but honestly, if a tablet gets them interested, then great! Frankly, if we are going to preserve the Earth, we need to start embracing tech more, and less cutting down of trees to make more books. Less than 50% are being published on recycled paper... That's over 2 billion books printed on trees in the U.S. alone each year. :(

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”