Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by marksm121 »

Paperbook is preferred for kids
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

Like many have said, I believe kids should be reading paperback. Being accustomed to electronic devices is not recommended at such an early stage. Paperbacks in general are wonderful; they're heavy in weight and value.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Most children prefer paperback
JC gull
Currently Reading: Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by JC gull »

I like to read paperbacks hardbacks. I think in today's society I would be classed as a dinosaur. Children today are surrounded by technology and use it in the schools at an early age. Anything else to them is strange and archaic, whereas a tablet or an e-reader is something they identify with.
However, when it comes to toddlers /younger children might be better with board books, I know I wouldn't want my young child teething on my expensive tablet, and colouring is always better with a book and crayons
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

While I am all for a paper book, I think e books are a great choice also. Sometimes if there is an option to listen to it instead, it can give a child a better picture of what’s going on in the book.
AvaParker

Post by AvaParker »

It depends on the age of a kid.
If it is a toddler, I will prefer a paper book. Because children of this age explore the world by touching, tasting, smelling, and licking everything :D
But talking about schoolchildren, older than 10, I'd say using tablets and ebooks is more preferable for reading. They've got so many textbooks, it's better to keep them in one place.
Moonglasses
Currently Reading: The Elephant Vanishes
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Moonglasses »

I agree that with younger kids, paperback is a good choice to start out with, especially if reading to them. Either curled up together or holding it up and reading to them, physical books can't be beat. We also have many kids books that have been passed down generations. Though I don't have kids yet, many of my fondest memories were reading kids books to my 12-years-younger sibling while he was young and doing voices and making him laugh. While I could do that with a kindle, it's easier in my opinion to keep attention with a paperback. Also when they are young, it's easier for them to point and grab at a book on the shelf rather than remember the name of what book they want.

Growing up, getting e-readers is fine. Family trips in the car without having to pack a bunch of books? Yes please! Also many public schools use similar technology and having kids already acquainted with it is super helpful.
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

In my opinion younger kids should definitely be reading paperbacks; just handing them a tablet containing hundreds of books could lead to them reading well past their bedtime, which could be bad on a school night. You could argue the same is true of paperbacks if you keep a bookshelf in their room, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong, but the light from electronic devices can keep them from feeling fatigued, or even give them a headache if they use it for too long. Older kids who've demonstrated their ability to responsibly use electronics can certainly get an e-reader if they want one, however.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think both are good, can't prevent advancement in technology. Just embrace it. Also, embrace what used to be.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

brenniewinters wrote: 12 Feb 2016, 21:55 I have written both paperbacks and e-books for Children and it depends on what they like. My favorite book as a child was Peter rabbit and my parents read it to me from a hardbound book. I bought one recently just like it. Good memories.
:D
I quite agree
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

I always prefer paper for personal use, but in the case of children I would definitely say go with paper. There are some serious concerns for all people, but most especially for children when it comes to extended use of any kind of screen. I know it's getting harder and harder for parents to avoid allowing children access to various screens, but if you do let them use ebooks, I would look for a screen that isn't bright like a computer. I strongly dislike using a computer or typical tablet for more than a few minutes without blue light glasses, and absolutely always use the glasses if I need to use a computer before sunrise or after sunset to protect my circadian rhythm as much as I can. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect a child to keep such things on, for one thing they won't fit well or be comfortable, and a child is likely to just forget.
kmteter26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmteter26.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by kmteter26 »

Although I agree that there is something extra special about reading a paper book, I think if your child enjoys reading from a device and it keeps them interested and learning, then let them read off of the device. You can always set time limits, so they don't spend so much time staring into a screen, but I think ultimately reading is reading and knowledge is knowledge so if the ebooks work, stick with them.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

For kids, a paper book is good instead of the ebook
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I personally think this is a tough call. Most of us who are responding grew up with and were exposed to either paperback or hard copy books. It may be possible, that our view on this is tainted due to our experiences. As much as I think it would be great for children to experience an actual book, the reality is they will likely not utilize books in their futures.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Kids spend too much time on electronics these days. Most kids today probably are not use to reading paperback books. I believe kids should be given more opportunities and access to paperback books. They are being very limited

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”