Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kristin Brockman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-brockman.html

Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by Kristin Brockman »

As a mom I keep asking myself is it really ok to let my son use electronics so much. He is still a toddler. I realize our day and age now is so much different than even ten years ago. When it comes to books I would rather he learned to read and hopefully enjoy old fashioned books at least at first. Being able to pick out books from the bookshelf to read at bedtime or anytime is always something to look forward to. He is to the point he is telling me what is going on in his books. I can't help but think if we only read EBooks to him that it would not be the same.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree. As much as I love my kindle, I prefer my kids to read paper books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mjsun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mjsun »

I'm also a mom and I know my girls love electronics, but I think that nothing can beat the magic of a paper book!
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

I would have to say paperback. I am pregnant with my first child right now and I have the conversation about technology a lot. Though I am not against technology use I feel that children are being exposed to it WAY to early. TV and movies is one thing. I don't like that children are receiving tablets and cell phones so early on in life. They learn to depend on them. My child will be reading REAL books while growing up. There's nothing like going to the library to explore different books.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
Michelle Stone

Post by Michelle Stone »

Young children react to colour and pictures. It forms part of the reading tools of association and helps their imaginations to be stimulated. A paper book full of illustrations creates an interactive forum and one that children can share with their peers and parents. A lot of the interaction is tactile orientated and being able to thumb through pages of your favourite story book is not something that a child should miss out on. Having said that, the convenience of an e-book when travelling with children is undeniable and I wish they had been around when my children were growing up!
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I prefer my child to read paperbooks. I want him to have the experience I did as a child of the color and texture. There are so many different paper books that help stimulate learning (pop ups, tab books, touch and feel, etc) that he would miss out on if I allowed him to use my kindle. Plus he's 1.5 and I don't think he'd enjoy a kindle lol
Jdurand2
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9434">Born of Night (The League Series Book 1)</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Queen (The Dark Queens Book 5)
Bookshelf Size: 1369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdurand2.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Jdurand2 »

My teenage son has never been much of a reader, but when I got my new Kindle Paperwhite I gave him my original kindle eReader and downloaded some books I though he would enjoy (Halo mostly). Now he enjoys reading much more. I think that kids use technology so much that it is OK to get them into reading on an electronic device if that will get them into reading. I very much recommend the Kindle eReaders (not the Fire) because they are better on the eyes and are not like typical tablets.
Jessica Durand
Readaholic
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dance with the Devil
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

cogarae wrote:I prefer my child to read paperbooks. I want him to have the experience I did as a child of the color and texture. There are so many different paper books that help stimulate learning (pop ups, tab books, touch and feel, etc) that he would miss out on if I allowed him to use my kindle.
I completely agree. There are some studies that show that kids wo grow up with books in the house are more likely to atrend college than kids who don't have books within sight/ reach, too. There seems to be something impactful about picking up a book, holding it, smelli g the pages, etc. that resonates with human beings.

I want my children to grow up with paper books before they use ebooks.
read well and write bravely
Janine

Post by Janine »

There is something to be said about curling up with a good book. It is a tangible act, one that you are most aware of as you grip the book and feel it's weight, turning the pages with care and anticipation. It shows the variety of text, the accomplishment and satisfaction of placing a worn out book mark between an event that passed and an event just about to happen. Physical books are magic little gems that kids can run their fingers across, and appreciate on a level they cannot with an electronic device. [RT]
mamabird0903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabird0903.html

Post by mamabird0903 »

I also prefer paperback books to Ebooks. I do not have children yet, but I have a younger brother who is 13 years my junior. As a child, there was nothing better than the smell of the book, the feel of the paper under my fingers.

When traveling, yes an Ebook is easier to manage than multiple paperback books taking up room in your bag.

But, as a rule, I tend to stick with the paperbacks and my brother does as well. Paperback books can't run out of battery.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I think paper books are better for children. Children are notoriously careless with their things, and it's not a good idea to entrust them with more expensive items on a regular basis. Plus, there have been some studies about the health hazards of looking at LED screens for long periods of time, so it's probably best to limit our little ones' use of them.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Analeighni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeighni.html

Post by Analeighni »

Paperbacks. They're more fun! I personally cannot read off of an electrical device because I will probably get distracted by wanting to mess around with other apps instead. Also, paperbacks are a more visual option to seeing how far through the book you are and how many books you've ever read. It's pretty motivational!
wingpeople
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Memories & Secrets</a>
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by wingpeople »

For very young children -- paperbacks. As they grow older, I don't think the format is as important as the ultimate goal of helping them discover the joy of reading.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Well said, @wingpeople, as long as literature is a part of their lives as they grow up, I think the format will become less important the older they get.
read well and write bravely
brenniewinters
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by brenniewinters »

I have written both paperbacks and e-books for Children and it depends on what they like. My favorite book as a child was Peter rabbit and my parents read it to me from a hardbound book. I bought one recently just like it. Good memories.
:D

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”