Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by natasha juhl »

I have two younger siblings in elementary school and I believe that in theory we should implement e-readers into their education however in practice physical books are better for the brain. lacing young kids in front of a screen too early can impact their eyes and eyesight in negative ways but ebooks can also help to teach kids to read in ways a physical book can't. At the click of a button it can help them hear a complex word, however my sisters seem to become distracted a learn to just click through a book rather then when they read a paper book they try harder to read it.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I think reading paperback is better, mainly because it doesn't hurt your eyes as much as screens do, but reading ebooks is kind of better for the environment and it gives you so many options in a tiny space.

Like with everything, there are many pros and cons.

However, I think healthy eyes are more important.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I agree that children should start out with paper books first. Personally, I don't like the idea of exposing my children to electronics at such an early age. I will definitely introduce it to them when they are slightly older but I think they should get a chance to love and appreciate good old paper books first.
beatrice_mom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by beatrice_mom »

I think it also depends on the age of the child. For a very young child, it is better to give a paperback book. But a child 5-6 years old can already be given an e-book in his hands. Plus, the e-book is lighter. Although, in an ordinary book there are many color illustrations, and for electronic ones you need to purchase an expensive gadget itself, which will open pictures too. I would even say that an e-book is more for children after 11-12 years old, when illustrations are no longer so important and interesting.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Kids should be reading from paperback, the feel of paper and the smell of it was what I liked. They also let you have a collection to see how many have I read so far. In the case of ebooks, kids can never see how much they have read.
Cassidy Simpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimpson97.html
Latest Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Cassidy Simpson »

Being able to understand how a book works (holding it correctly, identifying the title and author, etc.) is an important skill. However, if kids are reading and enjoying it, I don't think it matters so much how they're doing it.
emotionalapples
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emotionalapples »

at a very young age children should get the habbit of reading paperbooks
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I think kids already use their devices a lot so we shouldnt be making them use it more than they need to. paper books, definitely.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I think, personally, kids should read paperbacks. They should not be exposed to radiation from reading. I prefer kids to read paperbacks instead of ebook.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

I prefer kids to go with paperbacks rather than ebooks. Ebooks are only for adults and young adults. Kids may not find reading in ebooks easy; this may also harm their eyesight in the long run, and could give many distractions while reading.
Cris90
Currently Reading: Selling Change

Post by Cris90 »

I think that children benefit more from physical books because they provide a tactile experience as well, which is why many children's books have all sorts of 3D / pop-up items on them, although they're not extremely necessary. It just feels different when you turn a page and admire the beautiful letters and images, something that a (small) screen cannot capture entirely.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

I believe that children should read paperback. This generation uses technology in every aspect of their life already. Maybe reading could be the much-needed break that they need.
abbiegault22
Currently Reading: Break the Chains of Dieting
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiegault22.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by abbiegault22 »

I think it's okay to let kids read from both Ebooks and paperback books. Sometimes you aren't going to carry around multiple books for them to read if you aren't home and it's about ease of giving them something to do. I think at night it would be best to have kids read paperback books.
Soumini Banerjee
Currently Reading: Untold Night and Day
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Soumini Banerjee »

I'm so glad we have someone like @brenniewinters who has an experience in both fields of reading. I think that reading pdfs have become part of the new normal now, and kids might be in a better place to be accustomed to that. As much as we all love paperbacks, we cannot disagree on the cost saving and space saving facilities that come with reading books on pdfs.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

We cannot deny the positive implications paperback can offer to our children. It is traditional, readers of young ages will be more focused, and it will bolster their reading and comprehension skills. However, as much as we want to, electronic means are now flourishing and simply taking away the value of paperbacks.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”