Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Saving you money?

Post by kipper_ »

100%. Just take a peek on Amazon, and it will show you how much you can save from downloading a Kindle version of a book compared to having a printed version shipped to your house. (Prices are usually cheaper if you're buying in person, of course.) Coupons are easier to use online as well. You're adding a little less waste too. The downside is that you lose the physical comfort of a handheld book.

I usually keep physical copies of beloved books but use Amazon Kindle for the rest.
Last edited by kipper_ on 11 Aug 2022, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I think it does if you find free books to read online.
Hughes Davidson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughes-davidson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hughes Davidson »

Yes, I think it is saving me money. It is cheaper that paperbacks and it occupies less shelf space.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

In comparison to buying books from a store, an e-reader is more cost-effective in my experience. But, in comparison to lending from a library, an e-reader and e-books can be more costly. What weighs heavily in favour of an e-reader is the convenience: everything is online and no matter the length of the novel, it will always fit in a handbag.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Absolutely! I read free ebooks usually
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Absolutely! I read free ebooks usually
Sonymack
Currently Reading: Praesidium
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Sonymack »

Yes, It does, I'll settle for a good read regardless of the genre. Going to the bookstore to buy books definitely cost me much more e-books.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

eBooks actually save me money. They're a bit overpriced in the book stores and they may be difficult to find. In the end, I'll spend more money transporting myself to where I can buy them.
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

Yes because I only read from free resources as I do not have the capacity to buy books. Thus, it is saving me money I didn't have in a way at some point. I'm grateful for every book opportunity, tho.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

My kindle has saved me a few hundred bucks and I've had it for four months or less. Being able to download and read pdf files are life changing.
The Dodo Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-dodo-writer.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by The Dodo Writer »

CCtheBrave wrote: 01 Mar 2016, 00:31 Nope! I honestly don't. I know that quite a few ebooks are a couple of bucks cheaper than physical books, but I honestly end up spending more $$ on ebook singles than I would have if I had just bought one, thick hardback book!
I thought I was the only one that thought this. I have always thought that ebooks cost more in the long run.
Donald Donaldson
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-donaldson.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Donald Donaldson »

Pizzle_183 wrote: 29 Feb 2016, 19:48 Do you feel like e-reader really save you money?
Explain your thoughts please.
the eternal debate of e-readers and their impact on our wallets! While it's true that e-books tend to be cheaper than their physical counterparts, whether they truly save you money depends on a few factors.

Firstly, if you're an avid reader who consumes books at a rapid pace, e-books can be a cost-effective option. Many e-books are priced lower than physical books, and you can often find discounted or even free titles in the digital realm. So, in terms of sheer volume and accessibility, e-readers can be a budget-friendly choice.

Secondly, e-readers provide the convenience of instant downloads. You can browse, purchase, and start reading within minutes, without the need to wait for shipping or visit a bookstore. This can save you both time and money in terms of transportation costs.

However, it's worth noting that there are other factors to consider. The upfront cost of an e-reader device itself needs to be factored in, along with any subscription fees for e-book services. If you're someone who enjoys collecting physical books, appreciates the feel and aesthetics of a bookshelf, or likes to lend books to friends, the cost-saving aspect of e-readers might not be as significant.

In the end, whether e-readers truly save you money depends on your reading habits, preferences, and how you balance the costs and benefits. They offer affordability and convenience, but the charm of physical books shouldn't be overlooked if that's something you value. Ultimately, it's about finding the reading experience that brings you the most joy, be it in the form of e-books or the good old printed pages!
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

For me it does. U can borrow friends books online or read free ones, find free one.
David Tutor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-tutor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by David Tutor »

CCtheBrave wrote: 01 Mar 2016, 00:31 Nope! I honestly don't. I know that quite a few ebooks are a couple of bucks cheaper than physical books, but I honestly end up spending more $$ on ebook singles than I would have if I had just bought one, thick hardback book!
I totally agree. But you have to factor in the space those hardcopy books will take up in your house, suitcase, etc.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I agree with the majority. eBooks makes us spend more because it is easier to buy. I do not know how many eBooks I have that I've not read yet. But when it comes to paperbacks, I'm more careful almost always finish the books.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”