Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Saving you money?

Post by dennisbragra »

They might but there is a satisfaction that comes with owning a physical book. Creating a physical library if you will
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

Of course, it does, they save money, shelf spaces, and efforts.
I prefer ebooks because it's user friendly and does not cost much money.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I am really not a fan of reading ebooks typically, so I cannot say that an e reader is saving me much money... It will probably cost me more in the long run, because my hard copies are all in storage right now due to living in a small apartment, and I plan on buying over again my favorites as e books. Just so I can have them at hand whenever I want to revisit an old friend.
Ashiku0510
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashiku0510 »

Yess, most of the books in digital format are cheap compare to paperback edition.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

The ebook definitely saves me money.
In one way, most of the classics - or books that are now in the public domain - are free online, which means I can download them and read them without having to pay for a paperback. It means I can catch up on books that I want to read that are in the public domain (like the Count of Monte Cristo, for example).
In another way, Kindle editions of books are almost always cheaper than the paperback - it's particularly true for new releases, which means I can stay up-to-date with authors and get the Kindle editions.
It also means I can review books pretty easily - most books that are up for review are available on Kindle formats, so I can review books for work (or for here) very easily.
Finally, it means I can access books that may not be in my hometown yet. I can get 'early access' to books that haven't hit the market here, so I don't have to wait as long for books when I can get them on the Kindle.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Since I was given a Kindle as a prize in school, I never had to invest in it. Some books are very costly in paperback formats and I am just a student so I can't spend that much money. So, I guess that yes, Kindle has saved me some money.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think it depends on the persons self control.
In a book store I have no self control. A perfect example would be yesterday went into chapters from one $10 book and came out after spending $100.
E-books I have great control for some reason. I seem to find a lot of free books and low cost books. And I seem to keep to my spending limit very easily.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

I object that ebooks save money more than paperbacks, though. The reason is, this made me buy more and more copies after finishing one. However, it’s excellent that how much paperback I can read double the number of ebooks I can peruse.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

Overall, I find that eBooks are typically cheaper, and going to a library or a book store is now an unscary waste of gas. Even if you choose to ship a physical book, the shipping cost would be ridiculous! But if you like relatively old books you are better off making the trip to your nearest books store than through eBooks.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

E-readers save me money, and I like the fact that I don't really have to go to the physical stores to get them. So they are also convenient.
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I have looked into what i was spending before compared to now. Yes my kindle saves me about $100 a month. I read all the time so the kindle with kindle unlimited is perfect for me.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg

Post by Michael Villanueva »

If you are purchasing your digital books, it can actually cost more money to have an e-reader. If you are using some of the free apps like Libby, where you borrow digital books from local libraries then it can be a huge savings!

You could always physically go to a locallibrary and borrow books, but having the libby app is super convenient. You can quickly borrow a book at any hour through the app, no trip to the library needed, and returning is just a click of a button. Books will also be returned automatically if your time is up so there is never a worry having to get back to the library before a book is due.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I think it depends on which books you want to buy for your e-reader. Popular books usually cost more so it probably won't save you much money if you're buying those. But I think if you're planning on buying books that are on sale or for free on Amazon then it can definitely save you money. Personally I do like to "purchase" the free books as those are usually from authors that I haven't heard of before and I love discovering new authors. I also love buying the popular books though. So I think it is a bit of a double-edged sword; it just depends on what books you plan on reading.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Yes, I find that most ebooks I buy are mostly cheaper than their paperback copies, which is mostly the only reason why I buy them, but then again they also save me loads of space as I have already run out of space to put all my books.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

They save money if you read a lot of books and that too regularly. I would still prefer to read paperbacks as there is no substitute for the feeling of manually turning a page!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”