Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Saving you money?

Post by Claris L »

I've definitely saved money buying ebooks or finding free ones (whether through giveaways or in exchange for a review), but I find that I spend less time reading them all at once as opposed to a hardcover/paperback book. I think this is because I find it hard to entirely read things off a screen for too long (as in, an hour and a half straight) due to the glare of the screen.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Many of my books that I have on my Kindle, I received for free and didn't pay for. It would have taken so much money to buy those books, and I wouldn't be able to afford them, but by saving money I can enjoy more books!
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I agree e-readers had definitely saved me enough money than buying paperback books. Also, the old books are available at a very small price if I purchase the kindle versions.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I really think an eBook saves up a lot of money. If I don't purchase books from Amazon or other book sellers, I buy books from online that are sold for a cheap price when I buy in bundles.
Fatima Saif
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

E-books save a little money but the benefits and luxuries of physical books are greater than e-books. They can be gifted to anyone. You can read without eye irritation. Their lifetime with you is longer than the e-book.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

E-reader really saved my money. I was able to reduce my monthly budget that I planned to spend on buying the books.
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

I believe it depends on the person on if it would save money or not. For me, E-books save money. There are a variety of free books online that are available that wouldn't be free or easily accessible if they were paper books.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

It does save money, especially when you can get free books. However, I don't mind spending a little extra to get a hard copy.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Ebooks always save me a lot of money. I never find the relevance in purchasing a paperback when I already possess an ebook.
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

E reader saves money as well as solves storage problem.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

One thing I really like about the Kindle books is getting classics for a low price, or all the books of a classic author in one volume for a low price. There are also some web sites that show you books that are free or discounted for the day; I do bookGorilla, which comes in my email.

But more of a benefit for me is having fewer physical books to store or try to sell or donate. I'm older and all of a sudden it becomes a lot of effort to sell or donate, sort through your boxes, lug boxes to a donation site.

But also, I don't like that we don't "own" the kindle version, it can be removed from your library by amazon. So if I know I want to keep a book, I buy the physical copy. I also look at all the versions before buying and often I will just buy the cheapest version. If I need it fast though, like same day, I get the kindle. I do love being able to buy it and get it instantly.
Danny Rands
Currently Reading:

Post by Danny Rands »

I don't think so. I belive getting a tablet or smartphone to get the the job done would be a better choice.
pastorlarry
Favorite Author: E.E. Isherwood
Currently Reading: First Wave
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 84150

Post by pastorlarry »

Owning an E-reader has DEFINITELY saved me a tonne of money! I have all of my favourites downloaded already, so almost anything new is perma-free, free on a special, or from an ebook site I utilise which offers free ebooks in practically every category imaginable. But, I do occasionally miss the feel and smell of physical books...
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by mraphael1 »

I find that it has not really changed much for me. I seem to be spending around the same but I do try and keep an eye out for sales.
megachirops
Currently Reading: Witch Is Where Magic Lives Now (A Witch P.I. Mystery #37)
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by megachirops »

Ebooks have definitely saved me a lot of money. The number of authors offering discounted or free books to try is amazing. I love being able to try out new authors/series before jumping in and buying a bunch.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”