Do You Download Free Ebooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Shing Araya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Do You Download Free Ebooks?

Post by Shing Araya »

Hello.

I wish you are reading well. There's too many offers nowadays such as free downloads on ebooks on a lot of sites.

Do you trust them? Do they bug your equipments? Or some are worthy of trying?

Thank you for sharing your opinion/experience.
Priya Mathew
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The Hotel Detective and his Lover by Derek Picot

Post by Priya Mathew »

Hi,

The abundance of free ebook offers can be both a blessing and a concern. When it comes to trusting these offers, a cautious approach is advised. Reputable and established platforms tend to provide legitimate free ebooks that are safe to download. Some well-known sources include Project Gutenberg and Open Library.

However, there's a flip side to this coin – some less-known websites may pose risks. They might request personal information, or worse, distribute malware through their downloads. It's crucial to verify the credibility of a website before clicking that download button.

Now, about the question of whether these downloads can harm your equipment – yes, that's a possibility, particularly with unsecured websites. Regularly updating your device's security software is a smart practice to minimize such risks.

Then there is the issue of piracy. It's a significant concern in the digital age. Pirated copies of books not only violate copyright laws but also undercut the hard work of authors and publishers. While it's tempting to access free copies, it's worth considering the ethical implications. Many authors rely on book sales for their livelihood, and supporting them by purchasing or borrowing books legally helps sustain the literary ecosystem.

In short I'd suggest sticking to established platforms and respecting copyright rights ensures a positive reading experience without compromising ethics or security.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Hamdalat
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamdalat »

I am generally hesitant to subscribe to anything that is free. That may explain my hesitation in subscribing to free eBooks. I agree with Priya above that it is probably best to stick to established platforms.
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by a1coder »

I appreciate your concern about the abundance of offers for free ebook downloads on various websites. It's important to approach such offers with caution, as not all of them are trustworthy. Here's a balanced perspective on the matter:

Trustworthiness: While there are legitimate websites that offer free ebooks, there are also many websites that may not have the best intentions. Some of these sites could potentially host pirated content or use deceptive tactics to gather personal information. It's advisable to stick to well-known and reputable sources for free ebook downloads, such as Project Gutenberg or websites affiliated with reputable authors and publishers.

Malware and Security Concerns: Some unscrupulous websites might offer free downloads as a guise to spread malware or compromise your devices. It's crucial to have reliable antivirus software installed and to be cautious about downloading files from unknown sources.

Quality and Legitimacy: Legitimate sources of free ebooks often offer works that are in the public domain or are provided by authors and publishers for promotional purposes. Always double-check the legitimacy of the website and the authenticity of the content being offered.

User Reviews and Recommendations: Before downloading from a new website, it's a good practice to look for user reviews and recommendations. Online communities and forums can provide insights into the credibility of different sources.

Many other points ~
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue

Post by a1coder »

And for sure, authors' rights and the good benefits of reputable sites are included
Irenosen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Irenosen »

Yes, I do download free ebooks. I don't have a problem reading free ones. Last month, I browsed Google Play to find the "perfect" app to download and read free ebooks since Kindle app isn't compatible with my Android phone.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Legacy: Wisdom of African Traditions and the Bible by Chris Morehouse

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Downloading free e-books is okay if they're from legal sources, like old books out of copyright or special offers. But getting copyrighted books without paying or permission is wrong and illegal.
Marina
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

I usually take my chances and download free e books if I am interested in them.
Catherine Escobar
Currently Reading:

Post by Catherine Escobar »

I do download free books, I'm part of groups when you can share ebooks, it's a good option, but we have to remember that we have to buy books as well.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I personally only trust KU, Amazon and Barnes & Noble for free books. I'm also a bit wary to download books,or anything for that matter, from places I don't know or trust.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

Yeah I do download free books to read,also I'm concerned wherever I feel some way of being skeptical.I immediately stop the download until I do some good research.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: License To Loot! by Pascale Batieufaye

Post by Bradley Twesten »

I'm also really skeptical of the free readers. I use Kindle and it easy to navigate.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”