Worth It to Get an eBook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Natalie Frank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Worth It to Get an eBook reader?

Post by Natalie Frank »

Hi All. I am looking for advice on whether getting an eBook reader at this point is worth it. I read things fine on my phone, but would like a bigger screen when reading for a long time. My laptop is fine at home but it's too big to shlep out to the beach or wherever I want to sit and read a book. Now that eBook readers are so cheap, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to invest in one or whether I'd be better putting my money towards a regular tablet since there are now apps for Kindle and a tablet can do so much more. I have seen a bunch of Fires on sale but have no idea what one would get me over a tablet other than cost. Advice appreciated.
Erika Kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-kay.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Erika Kay »

I say yes. I purchased my kindle back in 2016 or so and it has been great. I toggle between reading physical, audio, and e-books, but I LOVE my e-reader. It is super light weight, holds a charge well, and doesn't hurt my eyes.

I've never enjoyed reading on my phone because it hurts my eyes, the screen is too bright or dims easily, and I get distracted. Using an e-reader actually feels like reading a book. The biggest perk for me is that when I go on a trip, I can load up however many books I want, and they fit in my purse ❤🙌
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I say no. I have a laptop and a smartphone. Amazon has a free kindle app for the phone and a different one (from their website not your usual app store) for the laptop. So if you have either of these devices, there is no need to purchase a stand-alone kindle.
Nele Ma
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nele-ma.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Nele Ma »

Absolutely! It's been incredibly helpful for me these past years for several reasons. Firstly, ebook readers are lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry your entire library with you. Secondly, they often have adjustable fonts and built-in lighting, making reading comfortable in any environment. Additionally, ebook readers often offer access to a vast library of books instantly, saving both time and money. Lastly, they're eco-friendly, reducing the need for physical books. So, yes, investing in an ebook reader is definitely worth it!
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

I think it is definitely worth it, as it reduced costs of books and they are easier to carry. They can fit almost as many books as you want them to.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”