Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by Dragonsend »

No, they are the property of the writer and they should be governed as such. We sometimes take advantage of the internet but the price really isn't about money but respect to the writers.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

luz0928 wrote: 31 May 2019, 14:36 I think they should be cheaper than a physical book, but it should show the intellectual worth as well. I mean, in the physical book you need to count the cost of the impression, paper, shipping, etc.
But I don't think an e-book should be free. Maybe just the ones that are free of intellectual property, but there is the project Gutenberg that offers these.
I agree they should be cheaper than the hard or paperback counterparts. For the most part, I believe they are. Although I would like for them to be free, I understand that realistically they can not be. (For all those reasons. lol) You wrote this way better than I could. :D :D :D :tiphat:
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think they should be cheaper, but it's really up to the writer if they want to make it free or not as work still goes into the making of the ebook, including reformatting it and stuff. Not to mention, it's still the writer's property.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 22:33
luz0928 wrote: 31 May 2019, 14:36 I think they should be cheaper than a physical book, but it should show the intellectual worth as well. I mean, in the physical book you need to count the cost of the impression, paper, shipping, etc.
But I don't think an e-book should be free. Maybe just the ones that are free of intellectual property, but there is the project Gutenberg that offers these.
I agree they should be cheaper than the hard or paperback counterparts. For the most part, I believe they are. Although I would like for them to be free, I understand that realistically they can not be. (For all those reasons. lol) You wrote this way better than I could. :D :D :D :tiphat:
Thank you for saying that! these kind of things can be thought from two perspectives, as a reader, that obviously wants the book cheaper or for free, or from the writer's perspective, they need to eat too hahaha

We need to be fair to the ones that have the ability to create something that we all enjoy. :D
Mandisaxs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mandisaxs »

The truth is there would be no book (e or hard copy) without an author's creativity. That needs to be paid for. The next thing would be to look at the publishing costs of each medium. I would vote for a slightly cheaper ebook.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Free no, they should just be cheap cause no one would go buying anyway yet authors need cash to live on and even publish in the first place.
Ttwyman
Currently Reading: Second Star to the Left
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttwyman.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B07CXNMVKY

Post by Ttwyman »

I totally agree that the shouldn't be free these people need to make a living the same way anyone who publishers a physical book does. I do think however they should be cheaper just like there's usually a price difference in hardback and soft back.
It's also that physical books can be passed on either freely or sold this is not possible with ebooks.
It would be great though if when you buy the physical book you got an ebook version as well by sending a copy of the receipt or something like that.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I don’t think that having ebooks be completely free would be a good idea because everyone who helped create the book would not get any money, including the author. I think that they should, however, be cheaper because there is no cost for paper or actual materials to make the book.
~Roxie~
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Well, cheaper yes, but free, for sure not! You need to oay the author 's hard work...
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I agree that ebooks should definitely be much cheaper than physical books because they require fewer resources to market. However, they shouldn't be free. Writing books may not be every authors' livelihood, but they should be compensated for all the time and effort they put into their work.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think ebooks definitely should be much cheaper. There's no printing and binding involved, and there's no bookstore to put the ebooks on the shelf. But free is too much because the author and the editor still need to be paid.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I think it's a little unfair to expect them to be free. The author deserves something! But yes they should be cheaper than paper books.
jorgea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jorgea »

Ebooks may be about the same price or higher, depending mainly on the subject and content.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

It takes work and creativity to write a book, ebook or not, so no they should not be free. I think ebooks are already reasonably priced.
samwolf
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwolf.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by samwolf »

If I buy a CD on Amazon I get a free digital download. This night be a nice idea for books. I'm the UK e-book prices are inflated as you have to pay VAT of 20% on them that you done on paper books. Weird, I know.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”