Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
beatrice_mom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by beatrice_mom »

Black Jewel wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 14:22 I do not agree that ebooks should be free. There are many authors out there who make their living solely by writing and selling ebooks. Making ebooks free takes away their livelihood.
I agree with you. Not all writers have a contract with a publishing house, not all books of a publishing house agree to be published, but at the same time, books can be really interesting and worthy of attention.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Infidel wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 22:45 Free I do not agree with because the author has put time and work into the book - would you work for free? However, it makes sense that it should be heavily discounted as data transfer is far cheaper than shipping a chunk of paper around
I completely agree with you. They are relatively cheaper than the hard copy books anyway.
Wolf4416
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolf4416.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by Wolf4416 »

I agree that ebooks should be cheaper than paper books. Only because the cost to the author is not as great. The author doesn't have to pay for the paper to be printed and all the costs that factor into that.
urmomrovks

Post by urmomrovks »

Yes. Absolutely. They should be free. I mean, yes we do appreciate the author and their special talents but they are already many people who are downloading ebooks on numerous sites for free. So if they can get them for free so can we. Again, we do appreciate the efforts of the author and besides some of the ebooks prices are outrageous, l just wanna read the book. Thats all.
CmSchrecengost

Post by CmSchrecengost »

As an author, I can absolutely say the time and dedication required to produce a novel should never be looked down upon. It took me a year to write my first novel and substantially less to write my second. Both had their challenges and both are priced according to the time, money, and effort I spent to produce them. I do agree an Ebook should always be less expensive than a physical copy, but never free. The only time I would condone free material would be in relation to academic material for underprivileged children, or third world children with no solid educational structure. Asking an author to give you a free book is about as equal to thinking your time and money is more important than their own. This is my opinion and mine alone, I hope this helps!
Last edited by gali on 07 Sep 2021, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

It would definitely be nice if e-books for free. That’s works for the reader however I don’t think it’s very fair for the author they spent all their time and hard work to just give away a story for free
Primrose Mhlanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primrose-mhlanga.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Primrose Mhlanga »

RonakP wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 01:20 I think that ebooks should be a lot cheaper than paperback if not free
I agree, e-books do not carry a much larger file size too :o
AlinaN1

Post by AlinaN1 »

As an author, I need to say that there is a difference between a book in physical format and an ebook.
I grew up with physical books and the feeling is different that you can connect with the book and the story, while an ebook should be very attractive to attract the reader and of course to have a subject which can impact the reader in a way or another. I don't think an ebook should be free, but it depends of the subject approached in the ebook and how many pages it has also if the reader can feel some connection with the story. For example if an author wrote a story and took him/her one year or more to finish the story and it's very complex I think it should be higher price, if the story is easy to read and it took two weeks or one month it should be cheaper. So it depends on how readers can be objective.
Quinton Lester
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinton-lester.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Quinton Lester »

Katy Isodo wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 12:14 I can agree with cheaper than a paperback because the overall cost of production is cheaper and that savings should get forwarded on to the consumer. That said, I completely disagree with them being free unless it's a sale or promotion as so often happens on Amazon. The reason being is that writing books is an author's job - the way they pay the bills and support their families. Ebooks don't take any less time to write than a physical book and authors should be compensated for their work accordingly. I think it's easy to get into this frame of mind where we want ebooks either super cheap or free because they aren't tangible products we hold in our hands the way a physical book is so somehow they seem less valuable. I find myself much more willing to buy regular books full priced and usually only get ebooks on sale or borrow them from my library.
I totally agree ebooks should sale cheaper than paperback but not free no one works for free
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I agree that ebooks should be much cheaper than paper books. In my experience, from what I've seen on websites, they are cheaper.
kaylyn stacy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-stacy.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by kaylyn stacy »

I think they should be cheaper or places should do something similar to Kindle Unlimited. I think Kindle is too expensive.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

obviously not free cause the author worked on the book. tho i do think it should be cheaper cause were removing the cost of paper
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Considering the huge part of technology today, I think e books should not be free but somehow less expensive so that the author and his/her partners can also have livelihood. Although I prefer paperbacks, I think ebooks also deserve to have monetary value. Not all things today are free. Who would work for free?

Just saying...
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Authors are taking a toll to write their pieces and consider a lot of hard work just to accomplish a book. Therefore, I suggest it should not be accessible at all times. Although I want it to be free and available to anyone without giving any payment, we also have to understand their intent and what they have gone through.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

I don’t think it should be free. Every effort should be compensated, and we should as well value our writers. They write their books with all of their heart and soul, so I should disagree for it to be free.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”