Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by Jay_shon03 »

It won't be fair to distribute someone's intellectual property free, or even at a cheaper rate.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I agree. I think it should be treated the same as a library.
David Tutor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-tutor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by David Tutor »

Katy Isodo wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 12:14 I can agree with cheaper than a paperback because the overall cost of production is cheaper and that savings should get forwarded on to the consumer. That said, I completely disagree with them being free unless it's a sale or promotion as so often happens on Amazon. The reason being is that writing books is an author's job - the way they pay the bills and support their families. Ebooks don't take any less time to write than a physical book and authors should be compensated for their work accordingly. I think it's easy to get into this frame of mind where we want ebooks either super cheap or free because they aren't tangible products we hold in our hands the way a physical book is so somehow they seem less valuable. I find myself much more willing to buy regular books full priced and usually only get ebooks on sale or borrow them from my library.
I could not have said it any better. Kudos.
abhilashrao1987
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by abhilashrao1987 »

It depends. Every author has put. his effort to bring in a good job. So it should make justice for their hard work.
Nele Ma
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nele-ma.html
Latest Review: Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Nele Ma »

Yes, ebooks should be free or at least much cheaper.

Pros:
1. Accessibility: Lower prices or free ebooks make literature and knowledge more accessible to a wider audience, including those with limited financial resources.
2. Environmental Impact: Digital books reduce the need for paper production, contributing to a more eco-friendly publishing industry.
3. Convenience: Ebooks are easy to store, carry, and access on various devices, enhancing reading convenience.
4. Promotes Literacy: Affordable or free ebooks can encourage reading habits and literacy rates.
5. Supports Independent Authors: Lower publishing costs can empower independent authors to share their work without financial barriers.

Cons:
1. Impact on Publishers: Reduced ebook prices might affect the revenue of traditional publishing houses.
2. Quality Concerns: Extremely low-cost or free ebooks might raise concerns about the quality of content and editing.
3. Sustainability for Authors: Authors might struggle to earn a living if ebook prices are too low.
4. Loss of Print Industry: A shift to cheap or free ebooks could lead to the decline of the print publishing industry.

In summary, while there are both pros and cons to making ebooks free or cheaper, it's essential to strike a balance that benefits readers, authors, and the publishing industry as a whole.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

eBooks are usually cheaper than paperbacks. I think that what we are paying for eBooks is for the author's intellect and time. And in paperbacks, we pay for the cost of production plus the intellectual property.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

As I have seen, e-books are usually cheaper than paperbacks. I also manage to get some of them free from the internet sometimes.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”