Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by gali »

Fiona Onyango wrote: 24 May 2021, 10:33 1. Audio file
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I went to Amazon and I was directed to download their audible app but I can't find it on google playstore.
5. I've never downloaded an audible file from Amazon. This was my first try.
6. Your device isn't compatible with this version.
7.Yes
You should contact Amazon about it. If you don't succeed to get the App, you need to report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Nihara Govardh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nihara Govardh »

1. Epub format
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I am from India. The Nook app by Barnes and Noble is not available in my area. So I tried other apps but it isn't working.
5. While I try to opened the file in other apps, it is not loading. It is stuck.
6. No
7. I tried Nook app and Kindle app but both aren't working
gali

Post by gali »

Nihara Govardh wrote: 28 May 2021, 04:06 1. Epub format
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I am from India. The Nook app by Barnes and Noble is not available in my area. So I tried other apps but it isn't working.
5. While I try to opened the file in other apps, it is not loading. It is stuck.
6. No
7. I tried Nook app and Kindle app but both aren't working
You can try to convert it to pdf via the free Calibre App. If it doesn't work either, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amar Jagan

Post by Amar Jagan »

1. epub
2. ipad air 2
3. No
4. -
5. Nook app not available in app store
6. yes
7. ibooks, kindle (Nook apps not available in app store)
gali

Post by gali »

Amar Jagan wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:17 1. epub
2. ipad air 2
3. No
4. -
5. Nook app not available in app store
6. yes
7. ibooks, kindle (Nook apps not available in app store)
You can try to convert the book to MOBI (if you have the Kindle App) or to PDF. Otherwise, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

PAVANI P

Post by PAVANI P »

• 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
    Ans epub

2. What device are using to try to open it?
    Ans samsung note 10 lite (Android)

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

Ans No

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
    Ans after I download the file it says "cannot open the file" when I try to download Nook app,it says not available in your country (India)

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
    Ans cannot open the file

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Ans tried downloading Nook but it is not available in India

By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.

Please note that once confirmed, you can't change the format. You can try to convert the file yourself via the free Calibre App.

* If the file is corrupted (contains only the cover/first page or can't be opened), you need to report it via your Update tab.
[/quote]
gali

Post by gali »

PAVANI P wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:48
  • 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
    Ans epub

2. What device are using to try to open it?
    Ans samsung note 10 lite (Android)

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

Ans No

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
    Ans after I download the file it says "cannot open the file" when I try to download Nook app,it says not available in your country (India)

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
    Ans cannot open the file

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Ans tried downloading Nook but it is not available in India

By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.

Please note that once confirmed, you can't change the format. You can try to convert the file yourself via the free Calibre App.

* If the file is corrupted (contains only the cover/first page or can't be opened), you need to report it via your Update tab.
[/quote]

You can try to convert the book to MOBI (if you have the Kindle App) or to PDF. Otherwise, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Charity Achieng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charity-achieng.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by Charity Achieng »

1.epub
2.android phone
3.yes
4. I click on the link of opening the file,click on the arrow to download and it opens to a readable file.
5. The file is downloaded but it can't open, usually I use PDF format to download books but this particular did not have the PDF format.
6. yes,the book did not open
7. Yes. But my phone is having problem downloading the apps. I tried both the recommended apps above.
gali

Post by gali »

Charity Achieng wrote: 30 May 2021, 09:48 1.epub
2.android phone
3.yes
4. I click on the link of opening the file,click on the arrow to download and it opens to a readable file.
5. The file is downloaded but it can't open, usually I use PDF format to download books but this particular did not have the PDF format.
6. yes,the book did not open
7. Yes. But my phone is having problem downloading the apps. I tried both the recommended apps above.
You need the App to open the book. You can try to convert the file to PDF yourself. If you can't, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Inge Neumann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-neumann.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Sea by Nina Purtee

Post by Inge Neumann »

1. In epub

2. Android phone - samsung

3. Yes

4. Normally I download the epub. Once download I go to my downloads file. Click on the file and it automatically opens in Google play books. Currently the conversion fails.

5. Google books downloads the file bit during processing it fails

6. Mesaage: Failed

7. Yes
gali

Post by gali »

Inge_tjie wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 15:44 1. In epub

2. Android phone - samsung

3. Yes

4. Normally I download the epub. Once download I go to my downloads file. Click on the file and it automatically opens in Google play books. Currently the conversion fails.

5. Google books downloads the file bit during processing it fails

6. Mesaage: Failed

7. Yes
You need the Nook App to read the file, then. You can try to convert the file via the free Calibre App. If it doesn't work, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Chene Mienie 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chene-mienie-1.html
Latest Review: A Dead End Job by Justin Alcala

Post by Chene Mienie 1 »

1. Epub
2. Andriod phone
3. No
4.i tried following the steps to get it onto the Amazon Kindle app, however it doesnt seem to work, i live in South Africa and cannot download the Nook app as it is unavailable in my country
gali

Post by gali »

Chene Mienie 1 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 09:38 1. Epub
2. Andriod phone
3. No
4.i tried following the steps to get it onto the Amazon Kindle app, however it doesnt seem to work, i live in South Africa and cannot download the Nook app as it is unavailable in my country
If you can't get the App or convert the file, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Namrata Dube

Post by Namrata Dube »

1.epub
2.Android phone
4.File manager-The file
It's showing that the file cannot open in this mode, try another method.
Could you please provide it in pdf format
gali

Post by gali »

Namrata Dube wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 22:19 1.epub
2.Android phone
4.File manager-The file
It's showing that the file cannot open in this mode, try another method.
Could you please provide it in pdf format
Once chosen, the format can't be changed. It says so on your Review Team Page.

You need the Nook App to open it, or to convert the file via the free Calibre App. If you can't get the App or convert the file, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”