Best free apps for opening mobi files

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Best free apps for opening mobi files

Post by Scott »

Besides the free Kindle app, what are the best free apps for opening mobi files?

What app do you use to read mobi files? Is it free? How well does it work?

When replying, please specify your device. Please give a brief overview of how easy is to actually open the files with the app on your device. Please also specify whether the app is available across most or all operating systems (e.g. Android, iPhone, PC, etc.)

For instance, opening mobi files with the Kindle app is not that easy. Once opened, it works well, but getting the Kindle app to open the file requires a little know-how. Usually, one has to move the file into the special 'books' subdirectory in the Kindle app's directory. It's not as easy as just downloading the app and then opening the file.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
noel548
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by noel548 »

Scott wrote:Besides the free Kindle app, what are the best free apps for opening mobi files?

What app do you use to read mobi files? Is it free? How well does it work?
For instance, opening mobi files with the Kindle app is not that easy. Once opened, it works well, but getting the Kindle app to open the file requires a little know-how. Usually, one has to move the file into the special 'books' subdirectory in the Kindle app's directory. It's not as easy as just downloading the app and then opening the file.
I use the mobi reader it from Android play store but I think you can get it from androiddrawer dot com too. I own a cheapo Chinese produced tablet running on android 4.2
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I only use the Kindle app on my Galaxy 7 and have no problem with it. I read mostly on my kindle though.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

If I get a mobi file that isn't from Amazon, I just email it to my Kindle address. It will then automatically show up among my purchased Kindle titles next time I open the app on my phone.

There is also Calibre - it's an open source e-reader app that can convert between the major file formats. Very awesome, easy to use, and recommended.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

My best free apps is my KOBO reader for my Lenovo android. Since my Lenovo was reformatted due to trojan problems, I could no longer install a kindle reader to my Lenovo android. So I installed Kobo. It works great.
On my HP Pavilion laptop, aside from my Kindle reader, I also installed an Ice Cream reader. It works well with a lot of formats (MOBI. EPUB, PDF, comics and magazine formats) and I could import all my books that I bought elsewhere including those books in my memory stick.
Importing your books is a cinch because you can browse your files and get your books one by one or import them all at one time.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

The book reader ReadEra allows reading books, magazines, articles and documents of all formats including mobi and EPUB for free in one app. I use it on my Android phone.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

I use Moon plus reader and ReadEra interchangeably to read books in Mobi format. But if compelled to pick one out of the two, I will go for Moon Plus reader
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

Try Readera and you won't be disappointed.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

I usually use ReadEra to read books that are in MOBI format. There are days when I opt for Moon+ Reader.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

I usually use ReadEra to read books that are in MOBI format. There are days when I opt for Moon+ Reader.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I didn't know about ReadEra. I'm definitely downloading it.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

TCC Edwards wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 23:18 If I get a mobi file that isn't from Amazon, I just email it to my Kindle address. It will then automatically show up among my purchased Kindle titles next time I open the app on my phone.

There is also Calibre - it's an open source e-reader app that can convert between the major file formats. Very awesome, easy to use, and recommended.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm going to start using this now. You are a life-saver! I'm so glad that I decided to browse the forums today.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Selmuq Voruma wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 13:25 I usually use ReadEra to read books that are in MOBI format. There are days when I opt for Moon+ Reader.
I'm going to download this one too. Thanks.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”