Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I don't think books are disappearing or will in the near future. But I think book readers are dwindling. When I was little, my friends and I lent books to each other. Much of our talks revolved around books.

I don't see that in kids nowadays. Instead, kids of the present generation talk about K-pop, iPhones, and Instagram.
Ceildric
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

I think there are a variety of social and economic forces that are going to continue to both reduce the number of people who turn to reading as a primary form of entertainment or education, and increase the relative value and convenience of digital versions of reading material for the general public.

Physical books will almost certainly never die out, but I would expect prices to continue to creep up, and publishers to more and more focus on premium presentations of established authors and classics. They will increasingly become art pieces, decorations, and perhaps even status symbols for the higher classes.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

don't think books are disappearing or will in the near future. But I think book readers are dwindling. When I was little, my friends and I lent books to each other. Much of our talks revolved around books.

I don't see that in kids nowadays. Instead, kids of the present generation talk about K-pop, iPhones, and Instagram.
Darya Pogromska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Darya Pogromska »

Hi! Answering your question: I agree that the art of writing will soon become a rarity with the development of technology and AI. You can already ask ChatGPT to write you a short story or an essay, etc. and it'll provide an average-quality product. With its advancing development, I'm afraid authors will have to compete with a robot, and organic imagination will cease to exist.
I'm afraid of AI learning to imagine, create new plots and worlds and us, humans, will not be able to keep up. It's something truly frightening, and I hope there will be laws against AI-generated authors, if those become a thing, like AI artists have.

:tiphat:

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”