Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Post by Lhisa »

I agree that they both do have their merits. I can live with either but personally, there is nothing like the smell of a name book when you crack it open for the first time. The smell alone draws you in. I love technology but the feel and smell of a book has a pull that a book on a screen would have to really good to fight against and if I had the option to read the same book by either method, I would choose paperback. But ebooks a lot more convenient and you only need to bring the device it is stored on and you don't have to bring the book.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I prefer paperback, if you drop your book in the pool at least you can dry it out!! They just feel more like an old friend .
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I prefer the e-book now. I used to be an avid paperback reader in school, but only because the technology wasn't available back then. I can carry around my whole bookshelf where ever I go now. I don't have to make a decision on what book to bring when I leave the house. I just grab my kindle and go! So much more convenient. I do keep around a few old paperback copies in case I need my book sniff fix. How has the smell of a good book not been created as an air freshener yet? I'd buy it.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I do prefer paperback since it is more tangible & intimate. However, now that I've started to read ebooks regularly I appreciate their quirks. E-books are especially better than paperbacks as far as note-taking goes. With a real book I can't delete my highlight or update the color. Lol.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
ems1schafer
Currently Reading: Labyrinth
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ems1schafer »

I totally agree the hard copy is the best reading experience. It's just not the same to read the words from a screen, and I love being able to spot parts quickly that I love by just leafing through -- impossible to do on an e-book when the scrolling text looks all the same as it flashes by. Plus, I can read as long as I like, but the e-book starts to mess with my eyes and give me a headache after reading on it for too long. The e-books are definitely cheaper, but not my favorite way to go.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I definitely prefer a paperback to an e-book. I do, of course, read e-books, but not if I can help it. I particularly dislike reading books in computers, although sometimes I have to do it.
Moradita03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moradita03 »

I believe that when you read paperback you are more connected to what you are doing ... using a tablet or kindle or cellphone can be tiring and it can make you feel distracted ... in my case I love using a pen or pencil while I read, I love to highlight what I like and make some notes ... the next person to read my books can feed their feedback
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, I do prefer a real book. However, over the past year, I have been slowly becoming more and more curious about trying an audio book. I'm probably not ready quite yet, but maybe this year sometime. We'll see how it goes.
kelly60
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 1413
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by kelly60 »

For the most part prefer eBooks, and audio books. I love to listen to my books while I do other things, and when I sit down to relax with a book I prefer it in eBook form most times, but now always.
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

In my opinion, I think both formats have their perks. I usually prefer paperback books, just because it feels more rewarding to finish it and be able to close it and put it down. However, I think that for reading a large number of books in a shorter amount of time, e-readers are very convenient. I'm on my phone anyway for large amounts of time a day, so opening the Kindle app is a lot easier than putting down my phone and making the effort to pick up an actual book. It really helps my ADD brain and tricks it into reading more often than I would with just paper books.
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

Paperbacks have always been my first choice and I still refrain to buy an e-reader. However due to various reasons like lack of space and sometime funds, I think e-readers are becoming a better option. As of now I use the Kindle app, but I am sure, I will give up and buy an e-reader very soon.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I greatly prefer an e-reader. It's much easier to store my books. I am an avid reader and would need numerous shelves to store my books that I would like to keep. The only time I prefer a real book is children's books because my grandkids do not respond to my Kindle in the same way as paper books they can hold. I am also dyslexic and changing the font in an E-reader really helps me read easier. My 12 year old twins are dyslexic as well and changing the font to Open Dyslexic makes a high difference in what they will read.
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

I, also, prefer paperback to e-book. However, I do still get a lot of use out of my kindle. I use it frequently while traveling (100's of books on the plane? Yes please!) and late at night when I cannot sleep. My husband is a very light sleeper, book lights keep him awake. However, the way that the kindle light is designed, it does not bother him at all. So, with my e-books I am able to read myself to sleep.
eagermagic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eagermagic.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by eagermagic »

For me, this is more a matter of the right tool for the job. Having said that, I have not found the right job for e-books. Without really trying, I make my e-reading go much faster, almost skimming. I do not allow myself to really savor the book. I am betting there is an actual physical explanation for this, but that is only a bet, made with intuition and not knowledge.
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

I definitely prefer paperback, as I find myself skimming the pages more in ebooks. But I end up reading ebooks so much more because they’re super convenient to download and borrow.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”