Printed books being overthrone by digital ones?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Printed books being overthrone by digital ones?

Post by lilytepait »

Yes, we're in the modern world, but actual book is life. you can't just get it out of the system.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

Real paper books will never go extinct. They will always be around. I know it's dwindling, but our ereaders need to be charged, can break, malfunction, etc. and there's a good amount of people out there who still read them.
Mar Watercolor
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-watercolor.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Mar Watercolor »

I know digital books have many positive things like having them all in one device, how easily you get a bunch free (offers, when authors give them for free... even sites and publishers give them for you to review like this one, it's much easier than if we had to get them in paper print) but ah... nothing like a book in your hands.
I'm the one hated by everyone who loves keeping their books as new. I love to write on them, mark them, add notes and info, underline, even some of them I color the pages with watercolor. In digital ones, I underline and add notes but it's not the same, you know. I only do it for the reviews, I never take again a digital book, I could delete them all. Where's the romance?

For me swiping pages in a device will never be like a real book :)
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I doubt that printed books are going to be archaic anytime soon. They are so reliable when there is no internet and you could always use them for a bon fire at the end of your read... that was a joke. I love printed books.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

It was recently in the news on BBC 7 that paper books had outsold ebooks in 2016, people are going back to paper.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I feel that physical books are being overthrown by ebooks and it is a shame. While I think it is great that they have got more people reading, and I use mine while I travel (otherwise I would need an extra suitcase just for books), I am still saddened by the slow demise of books. It is obvious it is the case because so many bookstores are closing their doors - especially independent bookstores. The fact that larger ones have started selling ereaders just emphasises the point
aldith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aldith »

"millenials" that I know want those which can give them comfort. They do not carry books. They just want their e devices and read wherever they are
Eoui
Favorite Author: Timothy Zahn
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eoui.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 9892

Post by Eoui »

It's not going away for a long while yet for many reasons. Paper books are more accessible and a better investment as well as forming a more personal connection with a story. Ebooks are quick, handy, and less clutter. Sometimes ebooks are cheaper, sometimes not. I think for a major shift ebooks and ereaders have to be sold at a lower cost. I own a kindle and nook, both were gifts, but I've only ever bought three books for them in... eight years? I use my local library to check out their digital books, I can't bring myself to pay the same for a digital file as an actual book. Even though the work put into the story is the same I like to have /something/ for my money outside of a digital file.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
nessiepooh1978
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by nessiepooh1978 »

Hi everyone,
I am a bookworm. I love an actual book. I love the smell of the pages as well as examining the cover itself. However, I like digital books because they do not have a musty smell over time and there are absolutely no paper cuts. So, in general I think that each has its pros and cons, I will read them either way.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I prefer printed but I also have a digital collection as well. Digital serves me well when I travel. However, I do not think printed books will be going anywhere.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like the feel of a printed book because staring at a screen all day can do a lot of damage to your eyes. I also think that printed books will never go extinct because what was old is now considered new. I mean think of all of the old game shows that are coming out this season on television like The Gong Show.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

Hi!
I also enjoy having books digitally. It is very convenient for many different reasons. I'm able to find more books and instantly be reading them if they are digital instead of having to wait and go to the bookstore to purchase it. On the flip side I don't think printed books will disappear. I also love being able to hold the book in my hands and smell the pages, there is a certain cozy feeling to the way a book smells. It can be quite nice to but technology down for a bit and curl up with a book.

I see the benefits of both sides.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Yes, there are a lot of people who prefer eBooks and may be they are converting their paperbacks to e readers but I still prefer printed books. I love them :D
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Jamesmbugua
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamesmbugua »

Printed books can never be overthrown since ebooks can get lost or deleted printed books unless burnt can never disappear
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

In a business perspective, e-books are more cost efficient than paperbacks. If one can find a way to reduce the cost of making paperbacks, then they don't have to be archaic. Those people who say that e-books are the new "books" are only trying to sell you their e-books.
-rk

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”