Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't prefer a smartphone to read books. I once tried and my head started aching. I prefer laptop instead.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Jamesmbugua
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamesmbugua »

It's difficult since texts and calls keep coming each minuite
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I read a lot of book on my phone and it never bothered me. I can read and night and not bother anyone by keeping the lights on and I can take it everywhere
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

It's funny you say you used to laugh about reading on the phone, OP. I have a friend who reads a ton and he reads a lot of books on his phone. When I first found out, I laughed too. Now a year later I've read several books on my phone. Ha! It's so weird, but hey - reading is reading!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Rahat Ali

Post by Rahat Ali »

I think reading on a smart phone is somewhat difficult espcially for elders having sight problem..it makes a person a smart phone parasite as well..radiations may also effect the readers..however to cope with the busy life styles in tge new world , to red on a smart phone has now become a necessity as well as addiction..we cant get rid of reading on smart phones..no way..impossible...we have to read on and the people are doing so...
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

Rahat Ali wrote:I think reading on a smart phone is somewhat difficult espcially for elders having sight problem..it makes a person a smart phone parasite as well..radiations may also effect the readers..however to cope with the busy life styles in tge new world , to red on a smart phone has now become a necessity as well as addiction..we cant get rid of reading on smart phones..no way..impossible...we have to read on and the people are doing so...
What in the world is a "smart phone parasite"?

As for it being problematic for older readers, at 76 I have to limit reading on my phone to about 15 or 20 minutes on an LCD phone or about 30 minute sessions on my current AMOLED screen. But I can stop reading for a couple of minutes and then read another session. I usually read on my Kindle but when I'm out and about I read on my phone. It's entirely doable and there's no eyestrain as long as I take that short break before my eyes get tired.

Barry
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

However much reading using smartphone maybe convenient sometimes, it is so much cumbersome. This is because the texts are now smaller and may not be much easier to read especially if you're used to reading using a laptop. Me personally I don't like it.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Rahat Ali

Post by Rahat Ali »

Reading on smart phone is somewhat easy way to read anything . while walking , sitting , or on bed but the fonts are generally too small . As we know the world is going to be very fast day by day , its becoming a trend and necessity of the time that we mostly depend on smart phone to read something .As other sources of reading can be used for reading , require to have some place to be seated properly. On the other hand smart phone doesnt have such requirements..So reading on smart phone may be a good way .it is the demand of today and tomorrow.
However ,may have some drawbacks .

-- 15 Jul 2017, 09:34 --

Its my personal experience , may be i m wrong , whenever i use digital media to read something , get bored , feel upset , become tired , but reading on paper media is awesome. i feel very good even reading a whole book at a time , feel very fresh , concentration becomes stronger and stronger and bla bla bla. I dont know why , is this happening with me only or others also suffers from the same problem.Actually our nature wants natural things , not modern innovations. i will prefer to read neither on smart phone nor laptops etc ...
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I like having the separation of my phone from my books. I don't like reading on my phone because one it's small and I have to flip the page every few seconds, but mostly because it is a phone and comes with many distractions. I get notifications, phone calls, and texts that won't allow me to be fully lost in a book because I'm constantly checking them or debating them, either way it breaks up my flow.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Rahat Ali

Post by Rahat Ali »

i think my opinion and conclusion about this topic seems to be confusing .Actually i m dscussing both sides of this topic, positive as well negative aspects.Whatever the opinion and conclusion is , the fact is that , no one can escape from smart phone reading habit.
Another point in my mind is that , reading on smart phone seems to suck our energies while paper medium , inflate us with energies , its my personal opinion and experience , may be , i m wrong
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I use my smart phone to read when I am on the go and have to wait somewhere, like in a doctor's office. I do most of my reading on my Nook (but with the Kindle app), but I don't always want to take a separate device along, and that is where my phone comes in handy!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

It's not that bad, but I only do this when I don't really have a choice.
-rk
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

It weaken my eye whenever i spend anything greater 2hr on my tablet
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I read from my smartphone a lot, I prefer it to reading from a laptop. It's very portable and I can always read from it at anytime and anywhere.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I usually read on my Kindle or from a hard copy. However, I do keep a few books on my phone. I know I will have my phone with me wherever I go and I enjoy spending a few minutes here and there reading. Far better than mindlessly browsing the internet or checking my mail.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”