Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bluroostr1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluroostr1.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by Bluroostr1 »

I prefer the feel of an actual book in my hands, but the ease of access that could be found using a smartphone could also be good.
stuckbetweenwords
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stuckbetweenwords.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch

Post by stuckbetweenwords »

An ebook is actually better for me at all times. Moreover there is wattpad and fanfiction and other apps where it lets you read stories and I prefer reading on my phone rather than on my computer. It puts me at ease
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I like reading books all kind of ways. Lately, I've been reading mostly on my phone because it is small and compact compared to a laptop. I do have a kindle but for a while I couldn't find it so I stuck with the phone app. I must say that the kindle is better when it comes to organizing the books into groups than the app. The app, sadly, doesn't let me do that.
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

If you don't mind the eye strain or scrolling, I suppose iPhones are great for books. I tried it a few times and ended up switching to my iPad, where I can highlight favorite phrases and check definitions...and remember where I ended.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

Kaylin McFarren wrote:If you don't mind the eye strain or scrolling, I suppose iPhones are great for books. I tried it a few times and ended up switching to my iPad, where I can highlight favorite phrases and check definitions...and remember where I ended.
You can make the font size larger if that helps with the strain on your eyes, but whatever method that you are most comfortable with is a great method. I like all of the ways there are to read.
Jody_Vote
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jody-vote.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jody_Vote »

I don't like reading a book on my phone would prefer my kindle or the book itself
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

If I may suggest, I -Phone 6 Plus and the I-Phone 7 Plus have a bigger screen now. I had the laser surgey to correct my vision at a well established hospital. Sadly, I was one if the few that it did not go well. Many have it worst. I have exterme dry eyes now. The Samsung 6 Plus was hard for me. It has a big scrren. The lastest I-Phones have better eye support now. When I do use ebooks, my I- Phone work well.

Not trying be rude.
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
bookloverInCBOR

Post by bookloverInCBOR »

I love having the Kindle app on my phone. I was one of those people who never left home without a book in my purse. Now, I have a whole library available at the tap of an icon on a device that I always have on me. Like a camera, the best book is the one you have with you. Well, I guess that only sort of works... :techie-reference:
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I read on my phone quite a bit. I like the black background and customizeable font on the kindle app and my phone is always on me, and has access to my kindle library, so it works out perfectly. I started when I had my first daughter because it was the only way I could read one-handed while nursing, but the habit stuck. It's just so convenient.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html

Post by Christine_B »

As much as I love my kindle and my kobo sometimes reading on my phone is easier. It's always in my pocket or beside me and it's less heavy to hold in one hand than either of my ereaders.
E_MarMatt95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-marmatt95.html

Post by E_MarMatt95 »

Most sites that you download actually allow you to change the size of the font. I was reading from my smartphone at the usual small size that the book actually downloads as, until I figured out the settings and found that my headaches were lessened from adjusting the font size. I play with the size every now and then just to see how I like it best.
jenherv13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenherv13.html

Post by jenherv13 »

I do read on my smartphone, especially when I'm reading a great book that I just can't put down! My kindle is fantastic and I do all my ebook reading on that, but on the rare occasions when I've killed the battery and I have somewhere to be, I just download the same book onto my phone and away I go. Love this capability!
amo1014

Post by amo1014 »

Being able to read in bed with the lights off is why I read on my phone! Plus, it's convenient. I have my phone with me wherever I go, so I can read whenever I want!
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Being able to read anywhere is a handy feature of a smartphone, for sure. But for me, that's only part of it. My problem is (I'm ashamed to say), I don't go many places for...reasons. But I still like to use my phone to read for several reasons. One is that if the author makes a reference to something I don't know or want to look up, I just switch to the browser and there we go. It's also handy being able to browse through books at my leisure when I want to read something new (and that I can afford :crying-blue: ) instead of going to my bookshelf. Plus, during those rare times I do travel, it's nice not having to carry around a physical book, which can be bulky.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

Randomgold wrote:Being able to read anywhere is a handy feature of a smartphone, for sure. But for me, that's only part of it. My problem is (I'm ashamed to say), I don't go many places for...reasons. But I still like to use my phone to read for several reasons. One is that if the author makes a reference to something I don't know or want to look up, I just switch to the browser and there we go. It's also handy being able to browse through books at my leisure when I want to read something new (and that I can afford :crying-blue: ) instead of going to my bookshelf. Plus, during those rare times I do travel, it's nice not having to carry around a physical book, which can be bulky.
It's worth mentioning that you can do all of that on a Kindle as well and some of it is easier on a Kindle than on a smart phone. Reading a word or phrase I want to look up I can simply press my finger on it and if it's a single word it's dictionary definition pops up. If it's a phrase it's Wikipedia page, if there is one, pops up. And if you get the dictionary and really wanted Wikipedia a single swipe gets it for you.

I'm certainly not against reading on a smartphone. I do it whenever I'm away from the house. I'm limited to about 15 or 20 minutes per session on it because of the LCD but a lot of people aren't bothered by that. Still, on the go, 15 or 20 minutes is usually enough.

At home I use the Kindle because of my eyes and also for the reasons I mentioned above. I use the dictionary and Wikipedia a lot.

Barry

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”