Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Do you have a Nook or a Kindle?

I have a Nook.
20%
I have a Kindle.
63%
I have a different e-reader.
9%
I do not have an e-reader.
8%

Total votes: 232

TiciaLove
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Post by TiciaLove »

I have a kindle. It was a gift from a co-worker. I like to use my kindle because it is easy on the eyes. It's like reading an actual book. :D
elizareads912
Currently Reading: Water for Elephants
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizareads912.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by elizareads912 »

I have a Kindle but considering moving over to Nook! I won my Kindle in a contest back in 2013 and it's a "Fire" model so technically it's a tablet (and a crappy one at that, the processor is infuriatingly slow for games and apps so I don't use it for anything but reading) and the screen isn't compatible with outdoor reading, which sucks because I love reading at the beach! But aside from those minor complaints, I love my Kindle! I'm definitely considering either moving to Nook or getting one of those Kindle Paperwhites so it's just an eReader and it doesn't have the glare on the screen so I can enjoy outside as well!
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I'd think carefully before getting a Nook. B&N isn't doing so well and in a year or two, maybe sooner, it could become worthless. They've just shut down in England and Nook owners there are likely to begin having problems soon. Their books are going to be transferred to a different company who doesn't support Nooks. And since you have to register the Nook to make it work at all, anyone who has to reset it for some reason will be unable to use it.

I have the Glowlight Plus and with one exception it's a very fine device. That exception is the capacative Home button which takes me back to the home if I accidentally touch it while reading. I rarely get through 2 or 3 pages without finding myself back at the home screen. I've put a sticker over that area to make reading easier but that makes navigating difficult. Other than that I really do like the device.

I also have a Paperwhite 3 which is a lot easier to use. The screen is similar to the Glowlight Plus screen but the interface is better. I've set up the Glowlight as a loaner to loan books to my neighbors.

Barry
PSJ67130
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by PSJ67130 »

I have a kindle that my sister gave to me one day and I love it!! I was really hesitant to get a tablet to read books. I love the smell and feel of a real book and was so trying not to go over to the dark side lol. But having to move 300 plus books across country kinda changed my mind. :lol:
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

I picked up a Nook today and the only reason was that it was second hand and cheap. I'm travelling to the US tomorrow and will be spending 10.5 hours on a plane, so I figured it would come in handy.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I bought my son a nook and we ended up not using it really at all. We opted to get him the iPad and I choose to get myself a Kindle. I've only been using it really the past 6-8 months but I'm really enjoying it. Gives me something to focus on while I'm working out.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
KailySue
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailysue.html

Post by KailySue »

I have the original Nook. I still use it and I happen to love it! I also have the nook app on my phone so I can read on the go. I only buy physical books if theyre a 5 star now, sometimes a high 4 star book.
ashann
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashann.html

Post by ashann »

I was given a kindle as a present on year. I did enjoy using it, but I found that when there were pictures or graphs that the layout was not always convenient.

Plus, a kindle will never have that new book smell. Nor that old book smell. :techie-studyinggray:
Book Worm Jen
Currently Reading: The Fall
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-jen.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Book Worm Jen »

I have a Kindle. I absolutely love it. I love that when Im out and I finish reading a book I have a huge selection of books to choose from and I dont have to wait til i get home to pick a new book. Im the type of reader that will have 3 or more books that I want to read just not at that moment lol so its nice to have alot of choices. I currently have like 200 unread books on my Kindle... I also love that when I am done I can remove it from my Kindle and add it back if I choose to reread it. I will be buying Kindles for my girls next.
Lalalu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalalu.html

Post by Lalalu »

I do a lot of traveling for my job and the nook was the best option for those long flights or long car rides. I was getting upset that the books I traveled with were getting damaged and I was also limited for how many I could take along. The Nook Tablet was a gift but I absolutely love it. Very user friendly. I can't speak to other e-readers but would imagine they all have something unique about them that appeals to different people. For me, the Nook is perfect.
Jessafford
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessafford.html

Post by Jessafford »

I have the nook color edition. I went with the nook because I am an avid Barnes and Noble shopper and they supply the ebooks for the nook. I love being able to just take my nok with me anywhere I go and can read, buy, and.download any book I want, as long as there's wifi.
NayDenise
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naydenise.html
Latest Review: "Back To You" by Chontelle Brison

Post by NayDenise »

I have a Nook. I love the Nook because it is easy to use, has google playstore, I can expand my storage with an SD card and I can sideload books.

I do have the Kindle, Play Books and Kobo apps as well. It's a major win for me.
Latest Review: "Back To You" by Chontelle Brison
Moni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moni.html

Post by Moni »

I have a kindle fire and the kindle app on my iPhone. I read more from my phone than my kindle fire.
jckatz

Post by jckatz »

I have the Nook, because I am an early adopter. My first ebook reader was the Sony PRS-500 and then the 505 (which was ePub compatible) Amazon's KINDLE still isn't. At that time Overdrive from the library wasn't available on Kindle.

The other reason I'm still using Nook is Gift Cards. I purchase my gift cards from Gift Card Rescue type sites. For $100 in gift cards I pay between $85 and $89 depending on the discount. I've never seen Amazon gift cards for less than $98 for $100 that is almost no savings.

However, with Amazon prime for eBooks all that math has changed.
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

kindle

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”