Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Do you have a Nook or a Kindle?

I have a Nook.
20%
I have a Kindle.
63%
I have a different e-reader.
9%
I do not have an e-reader.
8%

Total votes: 232

agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Do you have a Nook or a Kindle? Why?

Post by agreenwood »

I have a Nook, my husband got it for me as a Birthday gift. I love it because the pages seem like real pages of a book, but in an e-reader version! I also love that it has a back light for reading at night or early morning (with a hot cup of coffee).
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChrisKauf »

Wow! the poll is really in favor of the Kindle; I figured the Kindle would be ahead but not by that much. I got my Nook back when the Nook Color first came out. At the time we had a brick and mortar Barnes and Noble at the local mall so it was very convenient if I needed any assistance. i also went there and could look at it, feel, get information on it in advance of purchasing. I now mainly use the Kindle app on my computer and/or phone. It is easier to me to find and track my books using Amazon and since I was very familiar with their site it just works better for me. I still have the Nook and it works well; the granddaughter uses it for playing games and reading books now.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bekkilyn »

I actually have two Kindles...a "keyboard" e-ink Kindle and a Kindle Fire. I don't have anything against the Nook though, but I don't visit B&N that often compared to Amazon so the Kindle made more sense. Nevertheless, I actually do most of my reading on an iPod Touch with the Kindle app, primarily because it's much smaller than a Kindle (or a Nook) and I can easily carry it with me anywhere with less bulk.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I have a Nook. My sister had one of the early versions of the Nook and let me borrow it a couple of times. I liked how easy to use it was so I stuck with that when I finally caved and got an e-reader. I also wanted to support Barnes & Noble...and all the gift cards I had to use might have been a factor.
veg_8
Currently Reading: Infected
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veg-8.html

Post by veg_8 »

I have a Kindle. My dad originally got me the 2nd Generation Kindle, and I thought it was really cool. Once the touch screens came out, though, my Kindle wasn't as fun to use. I recently got a Kindle Fire to try & read books on eReaders again, but now I wish I bought an iPad because I don't like the software. I'm too use to Apple products now, sadly.
jcox27
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcox27.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Curse" by L.Y.Starks & Dea Gonzalez
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by jcox27 »

I personally Have a KIndle, I looked into and the draw for me was how resilient it was, Plus I have Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited in order to have better book choices. Every Month Prime gives me a free book. Its amazing.
Latest Review: "Dragon Curse" by L.Y.Starks & Dea Gonzalez
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bekkilyn »

jcox27 wrote:I personally Have a KIndle, I looked into and the draw for me was how resilient it was, Plus I have Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited in order to have better book choices. Every Month Prime gives me a free book. Its amazing.
Wow! I've been a Prime member for a couple years now and had *no* idea about the free book until I read your post! I knew we could *borrow* a book each month, but had no idea about Kindle First until I looked it up a few minutes ago and selected one for February. :)

Thank you!

Even though I have Kindle devices, I'm sure there is a Nook app I could use on my iPod if I needed it so even if we have only one or the other device, we could still potentially have both through the apps!
Fortheloveofreading

Post by Fortheloveofreading »

I have been an amazon customer for years. It just seemed to make sense to get a kindle. The kindle did everything I needed and I love it. I will always have a kindle!
Unicorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Unicorn »

I have a Kindle.

Why? It's what my boyfriend bought me for Christmas in 2013. I have 5,000 books on it (it's full and won't load my entire 8,000 ebooks on it)

However, I've only read about 4 or 5 ebooks so far.

Why? I have 12,000 paperbacks in my bedroom (300,000 books total, but the rest are in storage). I read books. Rabid reader of books. Can't get used to ebooks. ebooks, don't feel like books to me.

Also, I live up in the boonies - electricity is touch and go around here, especial in the winter when we can go weeks or even months on end, snowed in with no electricity. The Kindle holds an 8 hour charge. No way to recharge it once we are snowed in and the power goes out. Perhaps if I lived in the city or down south more where snow is under 7 feet a storm or less then 8 months a year or electricity was more reliable, maybe then I'd use the ereader more often, but, I don't and I don't plan to - I like the cold, I like the snow, I love being snowed in with nothing but mountains of books to keep me company, so I've no intention of moving south or into more built up areas with less snow and better access to electricity. We've only just recently got cell phone access and that's touch and go.

Techy gadgets are nice and all, especially ereaders, but they are rather dependent of stable access to electricity, something we just ain't got around here.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

It sounds like your Kindle is a Fire tablet and if so you can get more than twice the battery life if you get a Paperwhite. Also, for either device you can buy a battery pack that will charge it when needed. A 16,000 mAh battery pack is a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes and will charge a Paperwhite at least 5 or 6 times and charge a Fire tablet 2 or 3 times. They're easy to find for sale on Amazon for under $20 and even regular price isn't much more than that. Keep them charged and when the power goes out you'll have plenty of backup.

That won't last you for many months when it gets that bad but if you get a couple of battery packs it'll get you through at least a month.

Here are some links as examples. If you watch for sales these are always going on sale:

Well, it won't let me post the links. They require that I use the ASIN number with Amazon but that's only for books.

Barry
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I don't have either but I do have the Kindle Cloudreader app on my laptop. I do love this because I can easily browse through so many different books and buy as I please. I do however plan on getting a Kindle soon so I can read anywhere I like.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
missbeccamarie

Post by missbeccamarie »

I have a Kindle! I like it because it syncs with my Amazon account and my Android phone. It's very user friendly and useful for things in addition to reading. On Amazon, there are a lot of free options for eBooks/audiobooks from up and coming authors. This is nice because I can explore a different type of book than I usually read without having to worry about spending bunches of money.
Shadowplay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowplay.html

Post by Shadowplay »

I don't have an ereader, but I've been thinking about getting a Kindle recently.
jott_2009
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jott-2009.html

Post by jott_2009 »

I started out with an actual hold-in-your-hand kindle that my mom bought me for christmas one year. A year later the screen busted on it somehow, pretty sure my nephew may have stepped on it. By that time, I had a smart phone and could download the kindle app on it. That's what I use the most now, although occasionally I'll want to read an actual book.

-- 08 Mar 2016, 15:32 --

I started out with an actual hold-in-your-hand kindle that my mom bought me for christmas one year. A year later the screen busted on it somehow, pretty sure my nephew may have stepped on it. By that time, I had a smart phone and could download the kindle app on it. That's what I use the most now, although occasionally I'll want to read an actual book.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I had a Kindle for a couple of years until my son stepped on it and broke the screen beyond repair. I had bought books on Amazon for a long time, but I replaced the Kindle eventually with an Android tablet. I could use the Kindle App and sync my books on the tablet, and still have all of the great features of a tablet.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”