Watchdogs: Pandemic Similarities?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2022 Book of the Month, "WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings", by Mike L Junior.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Watchdogs: Pandemic Similarities?

Post by Summer Henrietta »

It definitely gave that pandemic feeling. Everybody felt the need to suddenly isolate and be with a certain group who they didn't want to be separated from. The survival of the fittest is also another similarity in the book.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I will not exactly say that the book shared similarities with the lockdown period as the latter was a very melancholic period for all, both economically and socially. However, I will admit most of the characters were particularly distrustful of each other.
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

Yeah, I totally agree. The book environment felt like the pandemic because people became scared of relating freely with strangers, and it'd be more safe for them to relate with eople tbey know well. The behavioral patterns of the characters were similar to the pandemic.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I agree that there were similarities between this book and the recent pandemic. The mistrust people had of each other for fear of infection during the pandemic was similar to the one illustrated in the book.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

In my opinion, there are no special references to the pandemic here. However, the situation in the book may cause the reader to associate with a pandemic. In any stressful situations, people tend to behave in a similar way. For example, do not trust strangers and strive to protect their loved ones.
The pandemic has been very stressful situation for many people. Therefore, many readers are thinking about the pandemic when they read this book.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Post by Tony Official »

Yes I agree entirely with you on this. The behaviors and emotions of the characters are similar to the feelings and behaviors a person exhibits during a pandemic.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I suppose the writer got some inspiration from the events that occurred during the panic. There were themes of loss, isolation and fear in this book.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

This never crossed my mind but this is true. The isolation was very serious in the book. The trust was minimal among members of different groups. This really connects with the pandemic.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

I do see some similarities but I think there were more differences than there were similarities. I think that during any time of stress or trial it's normal to band closer with your friends and family. But if you don't have that it makes it very isolating. However, past that, there wasn't a lot alike. At least not to me.
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mosele 19 »

I totally agree that the book has many similarities with the pandemic. People were self-isolating and were staying with their families/groups. Everyone was suspicious of each other, which happened (and is still happening now).
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

I would find it hard to agree that this book had similarities with the pandemic situation but I do agree that the groups did find it hard to trust each other.
Jackie Kook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-kook.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone

Post by Jackie Kook »

That's a really great observation. Interesting how authors can tap into cultural happenings in really subtle ways.
Emma Lamoureux
Currently Reading: Make Your Bed
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-lamoureux.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Emma Lamoureux »

I think there definitely might be some similarities there, but we also tend to project our own lives into the experiences we read about. I know I love when something I read can make me better understand what I am personally going through. However, it doesn't mean the author wrote it based on my experiences, it just means they wrote something that I am projecting my life into.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Yes, the book reminded me of the pandemic ad lockdown. People wanting to be around their closed ones and the feeling of isolation both were a part of pandemic and the story.
just_joy
Currently Reading: The Story Of...
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-joy.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by just_joy »

Simmons32 wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 15:42 Did anyone else feel like this book had some similarities to the pandemic? Everyone was so judgmental of one another and felt as if no one could be trusted outside of their own group. This gave the book a very isolated feeling where characters either lived life on their own or with a group they felt comfortable around. This felt very much like lockdown to me where you either lived by yourself or with family that you didn’t want to be separated from. There was even dangers when it came to traveling to other places. What did you guys think? Did anyone else notice this?
The worst part of it is that there was zero interactions .People feared each other and no one cared for the other ,which makes it even more worse than the current pandemics experienced.

Return to “Discuss "WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings" by Mike L Junior”