Science-Fiction/Dystopia Discussion

For June 2022 we'll be reading Science-Fiction/Dystopian books.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Science-Fiction/Dystopia Discussion

Post by gali »

This month we will be reading Science-Fiction/Dystopian books!
  • Science Fiction can be thought of as, "a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as advanced science and technology, spaceflight, time travel, and extraterrestrial life."
  • Dystopian is a genre that explores social and/or political practices. The following could be included in this genre: "mass poverty, public mistrust, and suspicion, a police state or oppression."
Some guiding discussion points
  • What are you reading/have read for this month? Share the title and author of the book you read.
  • What were your impressions?
  • What genre is the book?
  • What makes it a classic if at all?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I started Seasonal Fears (Alchemical Journeys #2) by Seanan McGuire.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I loved the physics involved in it because I could actually understand what was being talked about. The genre is Science fiction/ dystopian/interstellar. It's a classic because the information in it is timeless, it could have been written years ago or years from now, and it would stand the test of time. The use of every day language together with complex scientific terms but still getting the message across to the layman reader who may not have a background in science is what made this book unique. I give this book a four out of four stars because it's well written with it's unpredictable plot and professionally edited as they were no errors. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the science fiction genre and anyone with a dream to go to outer space one day!
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I just finished Dragon's Call by Ann Gimpel. It is a dystopian novel about a woman that has defied her mother and ran away to live with witches. Not much later, "The Breaking" happens. "The Breaking" is when the world ended. Her mother wants her to come home; however, she is perfectly content living with the witches. She has found her home. Dragons later become involved in her fight, but she is hindered by the Gods and Goddesses, one of them being her mother, Cerridwen. This is a series, and since I didn't get much out of the first book, I will not be continuing said series. I rated this book one out of four stars and it solidified why I'm not a fan of the "Dystopian" genre. If I had to recommend this to anyone, it would be to adults only, as there are unfortunately placed sexually explicit parts. This is one reason for the low rating. I was not aware of this before going into the book. There were multiple mistakes that detracted from the story. Also, the big reveal at the end wasn't a surprise.

Return to “June 2022 Genre Discussion”