Self-Employed.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: Self-Employed.

Post by Amberly Ayra »

The issue is very complicated because each job has different characteristics and types of contracts. But the ideal is that we all have the same possibilities for a proper retirement.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I actually believe retirement is subjective. Some people love their jobs because it is their passion so they might not technically retire. They simply enjoy what they do and choose to continue.

Hence asking if entrepreneurs should retire is a matter of choice. If they want to retire, they can plan towards it like the others with employers. If they choose to continue working because they enjoy what they do, why not. It's a free world.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

I believe most entrepreneurs enjoy the work they do. The majority chose this business line over salary jobs so why retire? A little break here and there can be taken for their well-being, but I don't think they need to retire. If you ask them some of them can not even deal with the thought of retirement. They would rather pass the business down to an offspring while overseeing it than to retire.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

An entrepreneur's retirement is different in that he never really completely leaves the field as he always has a say in what happens in his business. However, he can take his foot off the gas from time to time.
Scottie Rames
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottie-rames.html
Latest Review: 10 Leading Tools by KG Butler

Post by Scottie Rames »

Of course. I feel like when you feel like you've served your purpose you should definitely go for it. But it has to be well planned because who knows what will happen 6 years after you retire? But they definitely should retire as they are also employees like everyone else.
Alyssa Wakefield
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa-wakefield.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Alyssa Wakefield »

Although I think they are able to retire, most are so passionate about their week that, rather than coming to a full stop, they just gradually reduce their participation to a more manageable amount.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 17:33 To answer your question, here's an idea. What if "retirement" is an outdated concept? If your work is really enjoyable, why ever stop? Some of the people in the world with the longest lifespans (such as in the Blue Zones), stay active in some form of work (such as farming, or gardening), and researchers have found that the sense of "community" their provides helps them to stay healthy and happy. So, I would say that whether you have a job, or are self employed, or are doing unpaid volunteer work or a working on a creative pursuit, as long as you enjoy it, why stop?
This right here perfectly summarizes my own opinion. Why would I stop doing a job I enjoy? I don't perfectly agree with the author on retiring and this is not only about people who are self employed. Even those who are working should focus on doing what they love as long as they can.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

Retirement is beneficial but it depends on the individual when they want to retire. Some employed people find new career opportunities after retirement. Some people like to keep busy and enjoy working. Self employed can choose to retire as well by handing over the buisness to their children or using some schemes.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I think it depends on what retirement means to an entrepreneur. Is it a totally hands-off approach like retirement as a concept, if that's the case then there needs to be a financial plan for that? If an entrepreneur enjoys his work, then perhaps a partial retirement as I believe that old age is better when there's still purpose of some sort.
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

Absolutely, everyone deserves to retire at some point in their life and entrepreneurs are not an exception. I believe they just need to figure out what sort of retirement they would prefer.
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:
Nessa Taylor
Favorite Author: Charles Townsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-taylor.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale
fav_author_id: 232651

Post by Nessa Taylor »

An entrepreneur should definitely retire, but they could still be involved in their business in a little way.
thend157
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thend157.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by thend157 »

Of course, entrepreneurs should be able to retire. As the author, E. Alan Fleishchaur, states it does involve a lot of planning. I do think that it is possible though, and even necessary for an entrepreneur to retire eventually. This is because it both ensures that the entrepreneur's legacy will live on, and that he/she will go on to live a happy and fulfilling life.
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

Yes, self employed people can retire by planning ahead , making policies, hiring personell and gradually lessening the work load while actively suppervising the system.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Fasting Firepower
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Those that work for themselves could put a percentage back for retirement. Some entrepreneurs make thousands a month and while they are making good, they should plan for the future.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

The self employed should absolutely retire. How to do this may be a bit different than the traditional 9-5 though. It's a smart entrepreneurs duty to put in systems and structures into their business that can enable it run without them. Otherwise entrepreneurs will find themselves self enslaved to the business which can't function without their active input.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”