Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Re: Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Mayang Bature »

Times are changing, so we should adapt. In this day and age, relying solely on your retirement benefits is not sufficient, as the author has clearly stated. That's why we need to plan on getting a supplementary source of income so we don't run out of cash at that stage. The author provided different solutions to this.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I do concur with the author. We tend to view retirement more as a process than as a final product. We put in hard and accumulate money in the hopes that it would eventually cover our necessities. This does not always take place.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Have read about people who became billionaires after they retired at 60. All they need was to change their mindset and career. So I agree with the author on this one.
If one is still full of strength and a gift of no ailment, why sit at home when you can put yourself to work?
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:35 According to the author we have outlived the time of hoping and adopting the old retirement mentality.(Tradition)

For the author, retirement should be the beginning of a new career.(Reality)

Do you agree with the author?
Am still thinking about it
How about you?
I think the author is correct. Being above sixty does not incapacitate one. Since this is the retirement age in many governments, it is a chance for individuals to do things for themselves, that weren't possible during the years they were working. It is, however, not the end of working.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Yes, I wholeheartedly concur with the author that retirement should be pursued as a career. Many of the retired folks I know are miserable because life grew monotonous without job. However, if retirement is thoroughly thought out and treated like a career. There will be activities to keep one occupied and content. The book went into detail about that.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

Yes, I wholeheartedly concur with the author. We tend to view retirement more as a process than as a final product. We put in hard and accumulate money in the hopes that it would eventually cover our necessities. When this doesn't happen, the person gets frustrated.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 17:13 Yes I agree with the author, retirement should be taken as a career. I have seen people live unhappy after their retirement because life became boring without work. But, if retirement is carefully planned and seen as a career. There will be things to keep one busy and happy.
Seeing retirement as a career... I agree with your point, it will help uplift the whole boring episodes that come after retirement.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I think what the author mean is that when you take into account how many years you want to use in service, it will help you to prepare ahead of the time. Saving and planning what you will do after you retire.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I agree with the author. Retirement in the present time goes beyond the traditional method but living in the present ( the reality).
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

Pauline Parnell wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 03:24 Yes, I agree with the author. Too often we see retirement as an end result rather than a process. We work and save, hoping that what we save will ultimately meet our needs. This sometimes does not happen.
I cannot agree more with you on this. People need to change the mentality they have about retirement. It can be the start of a new and amazing life.
:tiphat:
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I do concur with the author. We tend to view retirement more as a process than as a final product. We put in hard and accumulate money in the hopes that it would eventually cover our necessities. This does not always take place.
Samantha Calderon 1
Favorite Book: Dying Well
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-calderon-1.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Samantha Calderon 1 »

Yes, I agree with the author of having the mindset that retirement is a career. If you have read the book then you will know that most people are not planning for their retirement or are not taking it as seriously as they should. With this is mind I know people would take retirement seriously if they saw it as a new career, which is why I believe: Retirement should be the beginning of a new career.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

The author's suggestions for treating retirement like a profession are appropriate. Because life becomes uninteresting without work, many people after retirement live sad lives. One can, however, live contentedly even with little or no income if retirement is thoughtfully planned and viewed as a career.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Yes, I agree with the author that retirement should be considered a career. I've seen people live unhappy lives after retiring because life became monotonous without work. We work and save in the hope that what we save will eventually meet our needs. This does not always occur.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Yes, I agree, since officially stopping work does not have to mean that a person completely falls into infinite old age.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”