Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Re: Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

When one thing ends, it is only natural that another begins. Retirement marks the end of an individual's working or professional life, but opens the doors to a whole new world. It's a process, you begin to perceive the world differently.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Yes,I totally agree with the author.
Retirement is another chapter of life where you get to do things that you didn't have the time to do while you were busy planning for life.
This is the another career where you take up things you would have love to do but didn't get the opportunity to do them. This is your 'live and let's live ' period of life.
shilpa khanom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-khanom.html
Latest Review: Black, White, and Gray All Over by Frederick Douglass Reynolds

Post by shilpa khanom »

I actually never thought of retirement being another chapter or a career but I find that I do agree with the author. I think the deeply ingrained hustle and working culture means that retirement from a distance feels like a dream. A chance to enjoy a rest you've worked to have financial security in but at the same time because of that same culture, it might feel purposeless not to work. Personally, I think retirement should be a time to fall back on a strong support system and be able to be comfortable so that what you do is your choice.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

It is difficult to imagine retirement pension being at the beginning of one’s career as this could pose potential calculation and uncertainty issues for employers.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

At first, I struggled to see reason with what the author said, but after careful examination, I can conclude that, indeed, so called retirement should be the beginning of a new path for us where we explore all we want and have dreamed of
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Yes, we've definitely passed the era where we stick to the norms of considering retirement as a closing chapter, whereas it is the beginning of a journey to getting to our peak.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I think retirement should be some sort of a career or else life can get really boring. You should plan for projects you would do in retirement, thus, making it more exciting.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

Helen Huini wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 22:12 There's a cliché controversial statement on retirement being the beginning of an end. I believe this is thus because retirement calls for a complete overhaul of routine, lifestyle, income sources. Managing such is only possible if one engages in prior strategy for retirement. Otherwise, depression is going to catch up on one sooner than later.
I actually completely agree with this. Most people don't realize how drastic that change can be. To go from a steady income to nothing. Planning out your retirement and saving towards it is the only way to prevent anxiety and stress.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I believe that the concept of retirement has changed over time and that our need to adjust accordingly has changed overtime too. However, I do not agree with the idea that retirement is something that people should be thinking about the second they enter their careers.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I think enjoying life shouldn't be something that is unobtainable. So many people work their lives away for nothing. Retirement should be seen as a career.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

I learned that people that retire early die faster than people who work at relatively stress-free jobs so I definitely agree. I used to want to retire by 30 or 40 but now think retiring is overrated. Work keeps us alive. Too little or too much of it can kill you.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

It depends on the grounds of retirement and genetics. Some people can not be actively engaged in work after the retirement age because of genetics. I don't think such person can start a new career. Others retire at a younger age while they are still active. For those, yes, they can start a new career.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I agree with the author about Retirement being treated as a career otherwise it may be your point of life where it gets very boring even more depressing. It is definitely a point in your life where you are faced with reality nothing is much there to distract you, to keep you that much busy, so it is important to plan it for it to be an amazing change in scenery when you appear in the midst.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Adaeze BlessedMira Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creative-lord.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Adaeze BlessedMira Ibeh »

This makes so much sense there's no reason to dispute it. Old age comes at us so fast and without proper planing, we'll end up in undesirable situations.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I think the idea of stopping working and doing nothing can be very frustrating, which is what the author was referring to. The ideal scenario would to have a few side interests lined up to pursue once one retires, such as travelling or paying closer attention to those hobbies that would have suffered while you work. In that way, ending a career serves as the starting point for one or two lesser demanding pursuits.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”