Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Chi+fran01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-fran01.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Re: Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Chi+fran01 »

Yes, I agree with the author. Most times, people see retirement as an end to their once active life. But on the contrary, it should not be so, retirement should be a time to explore aspects of life that one could not explore before retirement. It should be a new beginning of another phase.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I do are agree that retirement should be at the beginning of a person's career and not at the end of it. This will give a person the proper motivation and drive to put in his best in his work place.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

Yeah, I feel like that is a better view of viewing retirement. It's not losing but gaining the freedom to experience what you couldn't at the time. Pick up on the hobbies and talents you didn't have time for.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

I agree with the author. Retirement shouldn't be an abandonment of the responsibilities and activities that make our lives meaningful. Instead, in retirement, we should explore the limits of our abilities by participating actively in choice activities. I am in my youth but hope I'd retire to teaching whatever I learn during my life's journey, as long as I live to old age. There are other hobbies that I'd also like to pursue when the time comes. Retirement should be a career to excel in. This is healthy for the mind and soul.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

Retirement should be something that we all look forward to, something we properly plan for well ahead of time to ensure a smooth transition. We should look forward to kicking back and relaxing after decades of hard work.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

Yes. It's high time we give retirement the attention it deserves. At retirement, one is mentally capable with a wealth of experience. These should be put to good use.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Yes, I agree with the author. After retirement, there are a lot of things someone can embark on such as traveling, coaching, etc., Which is the beginning of a new career.
Vivian Agenms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Vivian Agenms »

I agree with the author, most people after retirement tend to live an unhappy life, I most certainly won't end up like them. I'll like to end up touring the world after I retire that way I'll have fun and not sit around and wait for death to take me.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I totally agree with the author. Just like the author, everyone should think of retirement as a new start and new opportunity for both personal and professional life.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I agree, but I wouldn't say a new career. I think retirement is a time to pursue what couldn't be pursued when you were strapped down with work. Maybe it is finding a new carpet. Maybe it's finding a hobby you love. Maybe it's serving in a capacity you never had the time to do before. I have seen both sides of retirement: one side finds a new "career" and lives it to the fullest, loving retirement. The other gets depressed because they have nothing to "live" for anymore. I hope when I retire, I am that first group!
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I do agree with the author on this. The thoughts of retirement is long gone for the little people. You could still retire if you have a good plan, but at the same time how long will that last? it is very unfortunate how expensive everything is and how it just keeps getting worse. I know that I will be working until I die.
Larnie_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Larnie_12 »

I'm in total agreement with the author. In most cases, people see retirement as a time to make ends meet. Retirement should be a different phase of ones' life that should be anticipated for.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:35 According to the author, we have outlived the time of hoping and adopting the old retirement mentality.(Tradition)

For the author, retirement should be the beginning of a new career.(Reality)

Do you agree with the author?
Am still thinking about it
How about you?
I think most people who have worked their whole life would be pretty bored if they don't have something to do. For some, that is a new job and for others, it's a hobby or travel. Personally, I dream of opening a little Tiki bar on the beach and I spend the day chatting away with people from all over the world. We are mere steps from the beach and I have a cute orange cat that hangs out and entertains the guests, I think I'll call him fish. I close the bar in the winter for a few weeks and go and see my family back in the states. I won't need the money to live but it will be my fun project to fill my time and life.
Jona00baka
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jona00baka »

It depends on the age you are retiring at. Someone retiring from work at the age of 40 is not expected to go and sit down at home. They change careers or start a business of their own. But retiring at an old age then strength may not permit you to be active on the ground.
Jumana_Fawmi
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi_3406691.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana_Fawmi »

Yes i agree with the author. Life becomes boring for many people after retirement as they have nothing to focus on. But if retirement is seen as a new career it can be more interesting. The career doesn't have to as hard working as it was before. Just something that you would like to experience or would like to focus on would be good. It also should have the freedom to experience life and concentrate on what you missed out on as you worked.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”