Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Re: Chasm B/W Tradition and Reality

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I am more of the opinion that we should still continue with the old concept of retirement. There is no need to enter into a new concept after retirement. However, I understand the author and what he was driving at.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I believe that retirement is a personal choice, some people want to do it and some people don't, it's different for everyone. For those who choose to retire, living your life after retirement can be your new career.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

People spend all their lives saving up to enjoy in their retirement and when they finally do reach that stage in life, they are so used to the idea of work that retirement doesnt fit well with them so yes it should be taken as a career
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

bishop_444 wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 16:35 Yes, I agree with the author. We should make retirement a career. The career is living out the rest of our lives and experiencing/doing the things that we have never done before. It is the time to make your happiness, your family, and your health a priority. We should be doing that our whole lives, but the reality is most of us just can't find the time to really take notice of said practices. So, yes, we should be acting as if retirement is a career; a career that we control and do what makes us happy.
How can we make retirement a career when a career is supposed to be part of what brings our livelihood and daily income? Retirement instead brings you to depend on what you've earned, don't you think?
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Retirement is basically a choice of an individual. People stay sane and happy by being able to work and not just sitting at home or always having "fun" I believe that retirement should be left at individual preferences.
Beverly_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Beverly_Reads »

I think that retirement should be a time when you relax and let your work and efforts over the years work for you I'm return. There's no need to be afraid if retirement if it's well planed and prepared for.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

We spend a lot of time planning our careers, ensuring they can make us happy and fulfill us. That same energy can be put into retirement, too, planning for it and making it a time when we can be happy, take care of ourselves, and have a fulfilling retirement.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

It would be quite an unconventional practice and I really wonder how an employee would be able to derive their motivation having received their retirement money at the start.
Smart Favour
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smart-favour.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Smart Favour »

I do concur with the author. We tend to view retirement more as a process than as a final product. We put in hard and accumulate money in the hopes that it would eventually cover our necessities. This does not always take place.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I don't really agree with the author as it is difficult to see retirement as a career. The reason being after retirement one is usually not as engaged as during employment. Life comes boring, something that activities such traveling et cetera cannot help alleviate.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I agree that retirement could be a beginning of a new career. It is an opportunity to explore other interests. The time is a gift to pursue dreams or passions put on hold because of circumstances during the younger years, which could be keeping a job to raise a family. It is like taking another shot at a career with less pressure to compete or prove your worth. You have been thru the motions before. Age and experience bring wisdom to manage it.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Yes, retirement can be the start of a new career. If it is planned properly, a person can enjoy spending time with his family, travel and relax without having workload.
Emma Lamoureux
Currently Reading: Make Your Bed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-lamoureux.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Emma Lamoureux »

I think for some, retirement can be a wonderful thing to look forward to and accomplish. However, for a lot of other people, the retirement plans in place for them (if they have one at all) aren't going to be sufficient to cover their living costs for a long period of time. This forces them to work, wether they continue doing the career they originally pursued or something new. I also know for some like me, retirement wouldn't necessarily be a positive thing. I need to be doing something and have some sort of job that keeps me accountable. That keeps me getting out of bed and doing something productive. If I "retire," it will most likely be that I'm just leaving my field to go to a new one.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

That's a bit dicey. Unless the new career one is starting is in line with their hobby, it's still not exactly winding down. No, in my thinking as long as you consider it as a career, you still have not retired.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

In my own opinion I just think retirement should be the point of relaxation in your life when you won't be bothered either mentally or physically on having to work to make money

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”