Self-Employed.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Self-Employed.

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

The author emphasized on retirement for the employed.

What if you are an entrepreneur.

Should entrepreneurs also retire?
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

Absolutely! I think entrepreneurs just have to do a bit more planning than people working as employees at a company. Also, entrepreneurs need to do more research to find a retirement plan that best suit their lives. But all-in-all, it is completely doable and should be done at a younger age so there will be more to work with in the end.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Yes self-employed too should retire. In as much as we see retirement as a period of resting but still being useful. The self-employed too can do this . Not closing up or being far away. But being involved in a non-tasking way than before. We all need rest.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

To answer your question, here's an idea. What if "retirement" is an outdated concept? If your work is really enjoyable, why ever stop? Some of the people in the world with the longest lifespans (such as in the Blue Zones), stay active in some form of work (such as farming, or gardening), and researchers have found that the sense of "community" their provides helps them to stay healthy and happy. So, I would say that whether you have a job, or are self employed, or are doing unpaid volunteer work or a working on a creative pursuit, as long as you enjoy it, why stop?
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

I think they can still retir but in their case, I do not think it is easy. Entrepreneurs have to do a lot of checks and balances and at the end of the day, a manager's services may be required. Finding a good one is another task.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

Yes of course! Entrepreneurs are workers too, and at some point they should also retire. So, just as the employed plans ahead for retirement, the entrepreneur should do the same.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Entrepreneurs are part of the labor force and should enjoy the benefits or perks. I know to some retirement is not a perk. I believe entrepreneurs that want to retire have to do more critical thinking and planning. And for some they have to start planning years before. I also know some entrepreneurs never truly retire.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Yes of course you can’t work forever even if you work for yourself! More planning and probably more discipline is required for this one though!!
Parth Vasave 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parth-vasave-2.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Parth Vasave 2 »

Of course! I think the self-employed people require a bit more planning than the employed folks. Also, I think self-employed people might find it hard to leave the job that they love.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I don't believe that there's a right or wrong answer to this question. Choosing to retire is a subjective matter. If you still have the zeal and energy to keep working or you feel that you're not finished, then by all means keep working. But not to the point of burning out.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I do think more than anyone self employed people should really retire. You have been in charge of strategically planning the future of your business, independently or not. During early years, a plan for the future should be put in motion where you can plan on your retirement how you see fit.
ankundachloe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankundachloe.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by ankundachloe »

Entrepreneurs never retire completely, they just reduce their workloads with an aim of training someone to take over from them. however there is need for such individuals to prepare enough for such a time when they are nolonger actively involved in the daytoday activities of the business.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

The moment you choose to be an entrepreneur, the definition of retirement has some more lines added to it. You need to look and find the right plan for you and the best way to contribute to your retirement. It involves a little more work for you, but I believe it is worth it. Many choose stability to the detriment of their happiness. I prefer happiness.
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

I don't think retirement is something everyone is going to want to do. If you genuinely love what you do and it fulfils you like nothing else in your life you should continue doing it until you want to stop. However, I think there needs to be a work/life balance and you should explore other things that bring you joy.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

Sure. An entrepreneur should retire someday. But it should be from active work. Such a person can still be sharing and using ideas to create products.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”