Self-Employed.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Re: Self-Employed.

Post by Hager Salem »

I don't know if they should retire, but they definitely need to plan their future. they won't even have pension to start with.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

absolutely yes, self-employed people work just as hard (if not harder) than employed ones, and they have the right to retire and rest like everyone else. like George Washington said (in Hamilton) "Everyone shall sit under their own vines in victory. and no one shall make them afraid"
Ola Aina 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-aina-2.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ola Aina 2 »

It depends. Some entrepreneurs might decide to retire after they reach old age and the business is already successful and some might not retire because they love what they are doing.
Ash Lynwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-lynwood.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Ash Lynwood »

As a self-employed content writer/copywriter, I agree that self-employed people should plan for retirement and retire at whatever point. They need to do some extra work to retire with a good amount of savings, but I 100% think it is worth it. I also think that there should be some better systems in place to help freelancers and other self-employed people to more easily prepare for their retirement.
Hannah Yi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-yi.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho and Jayme S. Alencar

Post by Hannah Yi »

Yes I think entreprenuers can definitely relate to Reconfigurement. Of course, it would not be the same, but there are surely tips that can be taken from the book.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

For me yes, an enterprenure should retire someday.their retirement does not mean the business have to fold up, the next of kin or any other reliable individual can take up the business from there ..the enterprenure can base himself or herself on a monthly salary...so yes entrepreneurs should retire as well
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

The way I see it, if an entrepreneur wants to retire, who can stop him/her? No one. Subsequently one may argue that depending on the nature of the entrepreneurs’s work, he may already be retired.
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

Entrepreneurs can and should retire, but if they don’t plan ahead for this major event in their lives, they will not have the option to do so. Too often it’s forgotten or overlooked with the “I’ll worry about that later when there’s more money coming in” mentality. With entrepreneurs, if they are good business managers, put what they earn back into their business. Good practice, but they need to think of their future as well. I believe they deserve retirement more than others, they are the back bone of America and put everything they have and own into their business.
HanWhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanwhite.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by HanWhite »

I've never been self employed, so I feel I can't speak for all entrepreneurs, but it does seem to me as though self-employed people have to work even harder sometimes. I think it's extremely difficult to start up your own business and go the "self-made" route, and so I absolutely believe entrepreneurs should retire. I think everyone should be working towards retirement, because everyone deserves to finally be done.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 17:33 To answer your question, here's an idea. What if "retirement" is an outdated concept? If your work is really enjoyable, why ever stop? Some of the people in the world with the longest lifespans (such as in the Blue Zones), stay active in some form of work (such as farming, or gardening), and researchers have found that the sense of "community" their provides helps them to stay healthy and happy. So, I would say that whether you have a job, or are self employed, or are doing unpaid volunteer work or a working on a creative pursuit, as long as you enjoy it, why stop?
I agree because it is important to remain constructive.
Rosie Ziarnik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosie-ziarnik.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rosie Ziarnik »

I absolutely believe that the self-employed individuals should have that retirement experience. Most people, generally speaking, don't enjoy working their whole life. Every person deserves a period of time to relax and finally enjoy every second of the time they have at hand.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

If one is having fun doing what they are doing and it would not be harmful to them should they keep working, then why retire?
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Eruore Ekpoh
Favorite Book: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eruore-ekpoh.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Eruore Ekpoh »

I believe entrepreneurs should also retire. It would be easier for them to plan for retirement because they are in control of their finances, provided the business is flourishing.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Sure! A self-employed person should retire as well. However, it isn't mandatory if they enjoy their work.
DEEPAK NAIR
Currently Reading: Naked Truth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepak-nair.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by DEEPAK NAIR »

If one can handle the anxiety of what would happen once you leave, sure, stepping aside would be a great option for the future. Further, after an age spending time with your loved ones and give back to the society should definitely be considered.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”