Assessment and personality tests

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Assessment and personality tests

Post by Amenrodion »

I love taking personality tests. I find them to be insightful but I did read somewhere that the Myer-Briggs personality test is outdated.
Lori Phoenix
Favorite Book: This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness
Currently Reading: The Castle Of Troubled Souls Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reading Device: B071KGVXVS

Post by Lori Phoenix »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 18:54 In "Reconfigurement", the author includes helpful information about various assessment tests that can be used to aid in your own career and reconfigurement planning. These are tests like the Myers-Briggs test and others. I have taken the Myers-Briggs test, and found it to be interesting. Have you taken one or more tests like this, and if so, did you find them to be insightful?
I've taken the test. I found it interesting. I'm not sure that I can say that it, 'helped', me. I think we have to truly learn to know our true selves, within ourselves as we go.

Mediation helped me to discover myself more than the test ever did.
Yaninaninana
Currently Reading: A touch of Malice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaninaninana.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Yaninaninana »

I just finished taking one! It showed that I am an INTP. It says that, " You are a detached, analytical observer who can seem oblivious to the world around you, because you are so deeply absorbed in thought." Which is 100% accurate. It is actually helpful because one must know themselves first before understanding others. It will help me to know in which way I could improve myself, especially on building relationship with other people. It's actually fun to take the test, it made me ask questions to myself and I get to know myself really well.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I haven't completed a personality test before. Tried taking the Myers Briggs but it was a bit too long. Will definitely give it another go following the authors recommendation.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I have taken a couple and they really seem to help. I find that they explain me more than I really know without.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I have not taken the Meyers-Briggs test, but I have taken several OCAs (Oxford Capacity Analysis) and found that very enlightening. An important thing about these tests is to answer as truthfully as possible according to what your response is at that moment. Hopefully, you will relate to the results you get.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

I love these kind of tests and get to know the ways I can improve my personality and skills. But I don't think the scores are very reliable. They use some sort of formulas and human nature is very complex and is hard to be explained by any set formula.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I did take a personality test but did not completely rely on it for choosing my career. We should only see them as guidelines and ultimately choose what seems to be the better fit for us without heavily relying on them. In the end, they show personalities on a general level, while each of us might have nuanced traits that might even contradict our general personalities.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I have taken tons of personality tests so far, however, I will take the Meyers-Briggs and share my results. I believe these tests help us understand who we are and how we function both in and out of the workplace.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

I haven't taken any "official" personality tests, but I love taking personality quizzes.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

I took the test twice two years apart from each other. It gave me two different result. Both the personalities I ended up with made sense and sounded like me. It was confusing. Even the career options I was looking into at the time where the ones they suggested. I took the first one 2017 and the other one 2019.
I liked the test they were very interesting. It confirmed alot of things I knew about myself. I don't know whether to do another one. I can't be INTP and INTJ at the same time.

Did anyone experience the same thing?
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

Leasa Ana-Maria wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 10:19 I haven't had any taste of that kind, but the Myers-Briggs made me curious. Maybe one of these days I will take it.
You definitely should. It's a fun and insightful experience.
Rina Neiman
Currently Reading: Before They Are Hanged
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rina-neiman.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Rina Neiman »

I have taken a couple of personality quizzes (Myers Briggs and such), and honestly I think filling them out was more insightful then the actual results. The results were also interesting, but just analysing myself in order to figure out what the most accurate answer would be has led me to some revelations about myself.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

I think it was a nice touch for the author to include information on assessments like the Myers-Briggs personality assessment.

Knowing yourself is essential to reconfiguring one’s life. For those unsure of themselves, it can be difficult to decide on a career that they will be good at and offer a sense of purpose or fulfillment.

In the early 00s “Spark Notes” was a website that contained numerous assessment tests (far more in-depth than the short ones you see floating around social media now), and in a time of not knowing myself, I enjoyed the insight and introspection they brought.

The results of assessments like these should be taken not as concrete but as an additional tool aiding in one’s discovery of self.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I haven't taken any tests like this recently. I think I did back in high school but I've obviously changed since then. I do plan on taking some of the ones Fleischauer suggested soon though. I recently quit my job and I think they could be useful for my job search.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”