Assessment and personality tests

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Re: Assessment and personality tests

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I have taken a few different personality tests and I always find the results interesting. I am an INFJ and it definitely fits my personality. I think you can use some of the results to help you find areas in your life you are likely to excel, such as in a career.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Andrew Z
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-z.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Andrew Z »

I haven't taken the Myers-Briggs but I have taken personality tests, well-written ones are good but the ones that have random questions that don't matter are not helpful at all. The reflection about the question is more effective than the actual result that they give you in my opinion.
Oleksandra Tsatsenkina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oleksandra-tsatsenkina.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Oleksandra Tsatsenkina »

Well, I can say there's something to the MBTI test, but personally, for me, the most insightful part was reading the descriptions of the types, especially the "weak points" of each one. Because when answering the test questions more often than not we are choosing the "right" option, not the one we would choose if we were being absolutely honest.
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

I haven't tried the Meyers Briggs and the Enneagram tests, but they seem interested. I will ask my brother to try them out.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I feel that these tests can be helpful but are not exactly conclusive. I've taken certain tests multiple times and gotten different results.
Sarah Myers 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-myers-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Sarah Myers 1 »

I've taken the Myers-Briggs test and appreciated the insight it provided me. I already knew these things about myself, but it helps to define them and explain them to others. This can apply to many aspects of your life: your personal relationships, your coworkers, etc. It helps to understand yourself so others can further understand you!
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Leasa Ana-Maria wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 10:19 I haven't had any taste of that kind, but the Myers-Briggs made me curious. Maybe one of these days I will take it.
Same here. I have taken the enneagram test to see what my personality is like, and it does make sense hearing a definition and understanding why I function the way I do. I'm sure these other tests help immensely.
My husband's company tests potential employees to see their working personalities, and I know he has made comments about those interviewees and their results. ("How could I work with this guy when he's a _____ and I'm a _____?")
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

I have taken the MBTI test, and to be honest, it has helped me understanding myself, including my talents and potentials. Thanks to that, I have actually improved myself, albeit slowly, both personally, socially, and professionally.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Reading about these tests opened my mind to new things, I had not really put interest in those tests before but it seems I'd give the Myers-Briggs test a try.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Ruka N »

El Brandhaus wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 09:32 I think it was a nice touch for the author to include information on assessments like the Myers-Briggs personality assessment.

Knowing yourself is essential to reconfiguring one’s life. For those unsure of themselves, it can be difficult to decide on a career that they will be good at and offer a sense of purpose or fulfillment.

In the early 00s “Spark Notes” was a website that contained numerous assessment tests (far more in-depth than the short ones you see floating around social media now), and in a time of not knowing myself, I enjoyed the insight and introspection they brought.

The results of assessments like these should be taken not as concrete but as an additional tool aiding in one’s discovery of self.
Well said! I agree with you 100%.
Wow, I never knew Spark notes had something like that
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 18:54 In "Reconfigurement", the author includes helpful information about various assessment tests that can be used to aid in your career and reconfigurement planning. These are tests like the Myers-Briggs test and others. I have taken the Myers-Briggs test and found it to be interesting. Have you taken one or more tests like this, and if so, did you find them to be insightful?
I have taken the Myers-Briggs test and I have come up with different answers. I'm always and IN but the last two letters sometimes change. Maybe they are more influenced by how you are feeling at that day or time. I do believe they hold some merit and can help us understand others better if not ourselves.
Jumana_Fawmi
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi_3406691.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana_Fawmi »

I haven't taken any tests yet. But I'm curious about a couple of tests. I'll surely try them one of these days.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I once took the Myer-briggs personality traits test. I could vividly remember that day. I took the screenshot of the test too. I was in a place where I was so confused about who I was and what path I should take. It helped, though a little but it paved a way. I have taken other tests too.
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

I remember I once took a random personality test online. It wasn't very accurate but they managed to somehow get somethings right about me. I was impressed though.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt
Cara Weaver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-weaver.html
Latest Review: A Tribute to the Forgotten by Stephanie Gumina

Post by Cara Weaver »

I had taken the Myer-Briggs test during my time working at my university's career center and found it fascinating to get my results. I learned a lot about myself. I had yet to take any other personality tests until reading this book but found great suggestions!

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”