Favorite quote from "Reconfigurement"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Re: Favorite quote from "Reconfigurement"

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 11:50
In a small village in rural Afghanistan, there lived a poor but wise farmer. One day his horse ran away. His neighbors came by to offer their sympathy, saying “what a terrible misfortune.” But the wise old farmer simply scuffed his feet in the soil and said “perhaps.” The next day the missing horse returned, leading an entire herd of beautiful wild horses. The neighbors came to celebrate, saying “how wonderful.” All the wise farmer said is, “perhaps.” And the next day, the farmer's only son went to tame one of the wild horses. In the process, he broke his leg. The neighbors all came by to commiserate, saying “how awful,” and again, the wise farmer only said, “perhaps.”

The next day, the forces of the local warlord came down to forcibly impress all the young men of the village and lead them to war, but because of his fractured leg, the farmer's son was left behind. Again, the neighbors came by to offer congratulations, but all the wise farmer said was, “perhaps.” The moral of this two-sided story is that all situations, no matter how terrible they appear on surface, have within them the seeds and the potential for good.

Sorry it's so long, but I think the above is just such a wonderful combination of wise words and humour. It made me laugh but also think deeply about the moral it contains. Using that story was a great way to communicate something important to the reader. It's too good to forget. In the OBC interview with E. Alan Fleischauer he discloses how having a mild stroke helped him access his ability to write. He was able to see the potential for good within his own misfortune, so is sharing genuinely helpful advice.
Yes this was a great quote! It was a good reminder to stay positive.
Andrew Z
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-z.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Andrew Z »

"You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel."
I like this because most people think that travel is a waste and can only be done after you retire. Travel is seen as a luxury and not something that can be beneficial.
Carson25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carson25.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Carson25 »

My favorite quote in his fantastic book is You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. '' Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel.” This is a relatable and provocative quote.
BruceP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucep.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by BruceP »

I think we sail in the same boat. My favorite quote in this book was "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel." This quotation perfectly sums up the topics covered in the book.
Mariam Tj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Mariam Tj »

Here's my favourite quote... "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel." I don't know why it appealed to me but I liked it so much.
Jumana_Fawmi
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi_3406691.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana_Fawmi »

The quote that got wrapped in my head is the "you have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years" one.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

Human beings are divided into three class of people: those who toiled to death, those who are worried to death and those who are bored to death."

Winston Churchill
This quote is the perfect description of this book. However, we should be able to find a middle-ground when it comes to our finances and retirement. I believe this book is said middle-ground...at least a good starting point.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

My favorite quote is, "All situations, no matter how terrible they appear on the surface, have within them the seeds and the potential for good." This is my best quote because most people expect only good things to come their way and because they have channeled their minds to the good things, they tend to overlook the important things terrible situation brings.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

'You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years'

My favorite quote is this. I often observed how the time you've enjoyed is much more recallable than the time you spent doing nothing of significance. I would remember every day of a vacation I went to but most of my school years spent in classrooms are a blur.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Abimbola Oladokun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-oladokun.html
Latest Review: Diabolus In Musica by Richard Rees

Post by Abimbola Oladokun »

I really loved the quote that went, "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel." It was funny and straight to the point.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite quote is: "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel.” This is my favorite because it is so true! 'The 'no-go years' are definitely not when most of us travel. Prepare for retirement but don't sacrifice the 'go-go' years and the 'slo-go' years by not traveling when you can!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

It's a bit long, but I really enjoyed it.
"Let me share with you a brief, two-sided story. In a small village in rural Afghanistan, there lived a poor but wise farmer. One day his horse ran away. His neighbors came by to offer their sympathy, saying “What a terrible misfortune.” But the wise old farmer simply scuffed his feet in the soil and said “Perhaps.” The next day, the missing horse returned, leading an entire herd of beautiful wild horses. The neighbors came to celebrate, saying “How wonderful.” All the wise farmer said was “Perhaps.” The next day, the farmer's only son went to tame one of the wild horses. In the process, he broke his leg. The neighbors all came by to commiserate, saying “How awful,” and again, the wise farmer only said, “Perhaps.” The next day, the forces of the local warlord came down to forcibly impress all the young men of the village and lead them to war, but because of his fractured leg, the farmer's son was left behind. Again, the neighbors came by to offer congratulations, but all the wise farmer said was, “Perhaps.” The moral of this two-sided story is that all situations, no matter how terrible they appear on surface, have within them the seeds and the potential for good."
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

All these quotes from ya'll had me feeling like I am reading the book. I have not yet read it but considering how it is full of positive energy, i should consider adding it to my shelf. I love the motive behind the story of a Poor but wise farmer too. One person once said, "there are some things you need to give up in life, for you to go up ", in relation to the farmer story, bad things happens to bring out something precious either materially or not but they come in with a greater purpose.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

my favorite section of the book would have to be where the author compared the yin yang symbol to the risks of investment. that was very clever.
Adaeze BlessedMira Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creative-lord.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Adaeze BlessedMira Ibeh »

This quote "Broadly speaking, human beings may be divided into three classes: those who are toiled to death, those who are worried to death, and those who are bored to death" deeply spoke to me and has remained one of my favorite quotes.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”