Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Post by LS Daniyal »

No, I don’t think old people spend more money than youth.
At old age they spend but with reduced income and means of income. That is why they are encouraged to save. This is why the book also talked about ways to make money and doing jobs you’d enjoy.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html

Post by LS Daniyal »

The book pointed out the problem—living longer without concrete financial plans. Looking at who luxury goods are marketed to, it’s obvious that the youth spend more than old people.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I doubt it is because they spend more than the youth. I believe the reason for saving for retirement, is to not be completely dependent on someone else since they work less and earn less, due to the decline in age.
Uriel David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uriel-david.html

Post by Uriel David »

Silvio Omutsiambo wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 15:13 The book is about planning for retirement. Given that people are advised to start saving for their old ages at a young age, do you think that at that time is when they will spend more than what they spent now?
No. I think that when we start planning for retirement early, we will reduce the strain on the little income of old age. Young people are energetic and driven, and can accomplish a lot. The elderly, on the other hand, are constrained by health issues. Starting to save for retirement at an early age will reduce stress on retirement.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I will agree that older people do spend more money because they are more likely to spend more on medical expenses and supplements as their health declines with age. Also, these expenses are unavoidable. The best way to pay those bills is to start saving while you're still in the military.
James Fx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-fx.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by James Fx »

I feel that old people spend as much as young people. They just spend for different reasons.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

Yes, old people spend more than youth because of their health. their expenses are unavoidable unlike youth that whose own is investment and taking they're of themselves.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 09:56 Also, due to decline in health that usually accompany old age, they are likely to spend more money on hospital bills and supplements. Saving for old age will help take care of those bills.
This is one of the major things that eat up their finances. That's why early planning is necessary.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

The health of old people deteriorates with age, because of this, they are likely to spend more money on hospital bills and supplements. If they save for retirement, it will assist in meeting those expenses.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I don't think the author meant it that way. There is a limit to what one can do at old age. At a youthful age, you have enough strength to work as you like so there is at least enough to spend and save.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I think old people spend more because of their inevitable health issues. But young people can control their expenses because they are not compulsory.
Samantha Calderon 1
Favorite Book: Dying Well
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-calderon-1.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Samantha Calderon 1 »

To answer this question no. I do not think old people spend more than youthful people. The reason people start saving for their future at a young age is because you are accounting for any issues that may come along the way, like not being able to work because of a pandemic. Another reason is to make sure you live a comfortable life since we have no idea how much money will be worth in the future.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I think it is quite obvious that old people tend to spend more. Most of the times, they spend on their necessities like health care. They tend to spend note on things that are of utmost importance. Unlike some youths that spend on their wants and not their needs
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

In my opinion, old people will spend less because they have no one to take care of just their feeding, their health insurance, and their mortgage, which could have been taken care of when they were younger. even though they were likely to be jobless.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

They are no longer healthy and strong owing to the strength loss they experienced when they were younger, and because they are more prone to experience health issues as they age, it is possible that they will incur higher medical expenses and supplement costs. They will benefit from retirement savings in various ways.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”