Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Re: Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Post by Brett Linette »

I think people spend more money in their youth than they do in their old age; while a lot of us save money, most of us don't save half as much as we spend.

𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮𝓮
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

Unfortunately I don't think they can spend much. The older people I know only receive the minimum money to survive and it is the children who take care of them. That is a normal problem in Latin America. That is why houses usually have large families, because everyone has to do their part to support the house. I hope that at least in the United States it can be better. However, from what my friends tell me, the situation is not very different.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I think the whole concept of working hard now is saving enough for retirement stability. It's not because we'll spend more at old age but because of how the system works. We'll be old. The recline will not just be in age but physical and mental strength. We'll be tired. When that time comes, it's necessary to have savings to fall back on.
Caroline Elizabeth 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-elizabeth-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Caroline Elizabeth 1 »

No, definitely not. I think young people spend more than old people. I see a lot of youngsters sometimes purchasing what they don't even need but an old man or woman will always go for what is needed.
Babalola Oluseyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babalola-oluseyi.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Babalola Oluseyi »

I don't believe that the purpose of saving towards retirement is because the elderly spend more. I believe that it is to be able to maintain a comfortable lifestyle even after the flow of income stops.
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

I would say it's a personal thing. As an octogenarian in reasonably good health, I have plenty of time in a day to write. But I'm not going to start writing a book at this time. Writing reviews on this site is fun for me and doesn't cost anything. My social security is the only income I have, but I am frugal and don't need more. Writing reviews here doesn't cost anything. My savings is cash on hand. So this is one old person who has never saved anything. Life is good.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
KafeliKe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafelike.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by KafeliKe »

My opinion is that if people are encouraged to begin saving for retirement when they are still young, they won't end up spending more because their needs will have decreased. Additionally, the issue of expenditure is individual.
Missing Person
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-zambarakji.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Missing Person »

I think in most countries in the world, the majority of the old people spend a lot more than the young. In most countries, the cost of housing is rising faster than incomes and salaries. There are a lot more old people who can afford to buy a house and a car compared to young people who have to take out loans to afford those things. I think increasing student tuition fees debt, housing debt, and car debt in countries like the United States force the millennial generation to spend less money than other older generations.

Some economists like Thomas Pickety say that the ownership of capital always produces a far greater income than career advancement and technical skills. In other words, property owners - who usually belong to the older generations - will always have greater yearly income than those who live entirely off of their labor.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Well, it varies from person to person and depends basically on how one wants to spend. You have a choice of how you want to spend during your youth. If you live frugally during your youth, save up for your retirement, you get to spend more during your old age, and live a stable and comfortable life. Generally, there are some unavoidable spending during old age like health and hospitalisation costs.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Kenneth Onyenwe wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 17:50
Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 09:54 I don’t think it is because they will spend more at that time than they are currently spending at a young age. It is because they are likely to work less and earn less due to their declining age and health.
I agree with your point. Most times, old age comes with alot of sickness. Seeing a doctor is not free hence, it is likely that old people spent more than the young
Yes, exactly! You understood my point.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

I think people spend less as they grow old because for most people, tend to do less with age. Most old people who survive on a pension scheme do not want to spend more than their little pension. Also, their children would have grown up enough to take care of themselves, so they don't get to spend more money taking care of their children and themselves.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I believe this is a widely subjective topic that solely depends on each person’s lifestyle. If someone who has worked their whole life has the dream of touring the world with their significant other post retirement, they might end up spending more than the youth in their family. On the other hand, if they dedicate all their wealth and assets to their grandchildren so that they can have the luxurious life they didn’t, then the youth will be seen as spending more.

Luxury aside, mostly elderly people do have to spend more at the hospital if they haven’t been taking care of themselves.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I feel like each retired person likely spends more on their day-to-day life than they did as a youth, mainly due to the increased cost of living compared to when they were young. With inflation rising so quickly, people hopefully acknowledge that they will need to save a lot more money just to make up the increase in costs and general increase in care needs. Personally, I am living rather frugally with hopes of travelling more when I don't have to work, but also knowing that I should not put everything on my bucket list off until retirement!
Mimi Frawley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-frawley.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mimi Frawley »

Two words: HEALTH CARE.
Yes, more money is likely spent in older age.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

In my opinion, I feel they spend as much as young people. They spend on hospital bills and nutrients/food supplements for old people. And those that don’t spend on hospital bills go on vacations.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”