Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

This is a very relative concept, to be honest. It would change and differ from person to person. In India though, where I am from, we have this concept where grandparents and parents earn their whole lives, only to save and collect their wealth to offer it to the next generations to help them grow. But I assume, as one gets older, expenses might increase? Hospital bills, etc. would take a toll. But, then again, you wouldn't spend on extra stuff like parties, hangouts, shopping, clubs, etc. So, as I said, it is a relative concept.
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl
Dauria04
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think that depends on the person regardless of their age. I believe the difference is that the majority of old people aren't working and receiving a steady income.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

Not necessarily. I think a greater difference lies in the manner of HOW they spend their money.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

As the book explains, planning for retirement is much more than saving and spending a little less cash. While you’re young, it is advised to invest, including commercial ventures, stocks, and even property. If one plans things well, I think they can end up spending much less in old age than they spent as young people. In youth, people have to spend on rent and so many other responsibilities, as well as investments. If you follow the great tips in the book, in your old age, most of those responsibilities should be cut down in half, leading you to spend less than in your youth.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

I doubt it. I think it varies; some old people spend more than the youth and vice versa. I just know that the more we grow old, the more the responsibility -- and this implies the need for more spending.
Anahi Lopez Vidueiros
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anahi-lopez-vidueiros.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anahi Lopez Vidueiros »

I don´t think so, though they should.
Retirement should be an enjoyable moment of your life, and I guess that after a lifetime of working and saving, you are entitled to a little bit of spending.
Okafor David Okechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-david-okechukwu.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Okafor David Okechukwu »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 13:06 I do not know that I would be able to distinctly say that older people spend more than youths or vise versa. However, I do think the older generation is more discriminatory on how they spend their money. My mom, who is in her late 60's, always comments on how much her young co-workers spend on morning coffees and eating out at lunchtime. Conversely, my mom clips coupons and packs her lunches but probably has more money to spend on the things that are important to her such as vacation or grand kids. So even if they spend similar amounts of money, the older generation likely puts more planning into where that money goes.
Other than buying of assets, I don't think old people spend outside of the regular maintenance expenses. I'd say they're mostly penny pinchers. Young people are rather liberal in their approach to spending because they're taking care of just themselves
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I feel like when you are older is when you spend the most time doing things because you realize money isn't everything.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Old people were once young and whatever spending habits they had when they were young might still be with them in their old age. So I don't think old people spend more but they do plan their retirements keeping in mind how they like to spend money. Overall, it depends on the person.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Praying Mantis by Tony Scott, MD

Post by Kendal Low »

I don’t know that older people will necessarily spend more than the youth at that time in their life. I think they’re advised to start saving when they are younger as they will most likely not be able to bring in an income like they would as young adults. They may not be able to work, and they will more than likely have medical bills and whatnot that need to be paid, so that is a factor to consider why it is thought older people may spend more than the youth.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I do think old people tend to spend more once they retire, because in current society, being retired is the time to relax and enjoy your life after having worked hard for like 40-50 years. old people tend to get carried away in their newfound freedom and want to enjoy much more than when they were working.
Ambrose John
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambrose-john.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Ambrose John »

It is not that old people spend more than youths, but the fact that there is no strength for the older adults to work and earn money for themselves. That's why the author advised readers to save while they are agile to work.
Fome Ewhe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fome-ewhe.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Fome Ewhe »

I strongly believe that it's relative to a lot of things, but I have a bias for the older generation cuz in most cases(there are a lot of exceptions) they have families to take care of... Children. The case could still ber reversed, like a youth with and incapacitated parent with heavy financial needs. It's not something so simple.
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

I believe old people spend more than younger ones.
1. They have their health to manage and medical bills to pay.
2. They believe they have responsibilities towards their grandchildren just like the author stated about some grandparents saving for their grandchildren.
3. Despite all this, they earn nothing aside from their pension fee, and that is if they have that in place.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

When it comes to medical care and supplies, I believe older individuals spend more money than younger people do, especially since neither of these things is in the least bit inexpensive or easily affordable.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”