Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Do Old People Spend More Than Youths?

Post by Dalia Chf »

I'm neither old nor young, but I can definitely tell you that I'm at that age in which I'm starting to have my own money (a little more of it) but I still don't have many responsibilities, so I tend to spend more than I did when I was younger and depended solely on my parents.

So it definitely depends on how many responsibilities in life you have, that's for sure. As long as you don't have taxes or rents to pay, you feel like your money is only yours to spend.
Ola Aina 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-aina-2.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ola Aina 2 »

I don't think old people spend more than young people. Old people are even barely mobile. How would they spend money if they can't even go shopping for instance? So young people spend more.
Ash Lynwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-lynwood.html
Latest Review: Bawdy Jokes & Patter Songs by Denny Hatch

Post by Ash Lynwood »

I think that in some ways old people spend more than youths, but really only when it comes to things like medical bills, etc. When we're younger, we tend to spend money a lot more freely on things, whereas once we get older, we have to save that money to cover our needs, like food, housing, medical bills, supplements, medications, etc. So I think youths probably spend more money than old people in most ways.
MdFoysalAlam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MdFoysalAlam »

While they make more frequent purchases and go out twice as often, people ages 18 to 34 spend about a quarter less than both older generations. Millennials mainly direct their money toward retail and dining purchases, the report found
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

It depends on the person in question. Some people don’t need more, so they spend less. On the other hand, in old age, your health takes a nose dive, so it might be a serious liability. But then again some old people are still very healthy. So it depends on the individual in question.
Hannah Yi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-yi.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho and Jayme S. Alencar

Post by Hannah Yi »

I think lots of people think of it that way. Like if you earn more when you're young, you can spend more when you're older. But I don't think it's really a matter of spending more, it's a matter of earning less. Whether it's cause of health issues or just simply old age, you probably won't earn as much as you're earning now as you continue to age.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

For me,it's all depends on the individual.you know most old people are likely to fall sick easily.they might save alot when they were young,but spend it all on health issues when they get old.the same thing applies with the youths.when they spend unnecessarily , they might spend more than an healthy old person
Ruth Omonegho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-omonegho.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ruth Omonegho »

I'm not sure spending is an age thing. I think it is more of a responsibility thing. Depending on one's responsibility and taste, whether old or young, one can spend more or less.
Ekene67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekene67.html
Latest Review: Goods & Effects by Al Schnupp

Post by Ekene67 »

I think the youths spend more than the old people, although the old might tend to spend their money on their kids and also save for retirement.
Eruore Ekpoh
Favorite Book: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eruore-ekpoh.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Eruore Ekpoh »

I don't think aged people spend more than the youth. Some of them people are in good health. I believe they would be more interested in activities that relax them, which may not cost much.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Yes they do. I would say the main reason for this is the amount of money that goes into paying for carers as well as any other health related bills.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think older people may spend more, but it depends on the person as well as what they’re actually buying. Older people may spend more on healthcare, but younger people may spend more on going out. Some people are also just more frugal than others regardless of their age.

Also, inflation is something to consider. $20 went a lot further a few decades ago. Technically we are all spending more than we used to for that reason alone.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Mayang Bature »

Old people most likely spend more because of health and hospital bills, together with house bills and other things an average young person spends money on.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

In my opinion, the answer is yes, as they are likely to spend more money on medical expenses and supplements due to the loss in health that typically comes with aging. Paying such expenditures will be made easier by saving for retirement.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

For me, it all depends on the individual, most old people spend more than younger ones and also most younger ones spend more the old people.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”