Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Re: Feelings evoked by this unique description of war

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I agree with you. A book that describes war without going too deep into politics is a great one. It indeed grabs one’s attention and make them feel connected to the characters introduced. I hope more authors implement this aspect for their book to appeal to a wider audience.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I agree that the book was much focused on the emotions of the people. But Vietnam war is a war that we have heard of for too long, with too much variations. So I think twice before either sympathizing with or getting angry towards the associated parties. It applies to this book as well.
Favi001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favi001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Favi001 »

The war of Vietnam was a tragic occurrence to say the least. Seeing the points of view of people whose lives were affected on a personal level is really thought provoking.
Favi001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favi001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Favi001 »

The war of Vietnam was a tragic occurrence to say the least. Seeing the points of view of people whose lives were affected on a personal level is really thought provoking.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

It was a mix of emotions for me as I read it and I felt mostly heartbroken. Many of us do not really know what war is all about, but reading this kind of gave me goosebumps.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Gave me something to think about in terms of what I believe in and how far would I like to be involved in certain issues such as advocacy and activism
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

It was a bitter-sweet emotion for me throughout the book. I also had similar opinions and feelings towards the character, Roxy, but at the end I felt sorry.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

The book definitely had it's ups and downs. I hated Roxy's mother, she's is so insensitive. Steve was such a great character. I like the fact that he never gave up even when Roxy left him, he's a real fighter.
I hated Roxy for betraying Steve but again I still understand her ,she felt left alone due to Steve's new job. She encouraged him to take the job and now she was rethinking it. I think Steve loved her more than she loved him. She was selfish with her well-planned life and did not really sacrifice anything for Steve. It was always Steve who had to suffer for their love.
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

I hate to read about the brutalities of war especially the Vietnam war. I felt sympathetic for the victims. It is a pity that innocent lost their lives. I admired Steve's resilience during the demonstrations.
Optimnob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-optimnob.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Optimnob »

I have to agree, this book does reach deep to bring out some feelings. Most of the time, it is sadness, grief, and empathy.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Roxy's appearance of a dual disposition is understandable. War and unrest can be emotionally disturbing and disorienting for people. This realistic portrayal is spot on.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

I didn't just feel the horror of these scenes, I also found the close synergy between politics, politicians and war. The times that there has been war, I have always witnessed the intermingling of this three.
Babalola Oluseyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babalola-oluseyi.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Babalola Oluseyi »

I loved this book. I am not one to read books on wars, but the first few pages gripped me. The author has a talent for accurately describing emotions and as a result evoking similar emotions in the readers. Reading about the murder of the students in the beginning of the book really brought back memories of a similar event in my country. It felt like he was describing me in that exact moment. It was wonderful and strange to see my reaction being reflected back at me.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

It's like looking through the people's heart. It was like an emotional rollercoaster. At some point it was tears and others it was anger. This goes on throughout the book. The effort put in the emotional state of this characters is insane and i love it.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

I enjoyed reading it since the author put an emotional touch on each character he created while bringing the horrific reality of warfare to life. Steve, in particular, was my favourite. His character was developed well.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”