Is Steve a hipocrite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Ruth Kariuki 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-kariuki-3.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Re: Is Steve a hipocrite?

Post by Ruth Kariuki 3 »

Steve does look the other way a lot due to drugs. He even covers for his briother tommy who is a drug dealer. I think it was a matter of ethical dillemma. He also enjoyed smoking a joint once in a while so i do not think that looking the other was hypocritical, he just saw no harm in it, which there wasn't. However, if one of his friends was involved in some of the corrupt dealings he was fighting in the force, he would not have spared them.
readingswithsoso
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

He was wearing the uniform, yes. But it was during his out-of-duty hours.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I would say he was a hypocrite if I was perfect. People have their imperfections and that's what makes them human. Steve did what every other sane person would do. He used his uniform to protect the person he loved most in the world.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I don't believe he was a hypocrite as he stood by his thoughts and choices. He was still human and because he was wearing an uniform, didn't mean he suddenly became the perfect human with no faults. We all have faults and make mistakes - even police officers. Overall, he stood by his decision to make a difference.
MarxDagger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marxdagger.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by MarxDagger »

optimistic-sogzy wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 23:07 I did not see Steve as a hypocrite. Being part of the system to make a change is never an act of hypocrisy. Since he didn't forget his goal and joined the corruption; he should be applauded instead.
I agree. And I want to add that Steve did not join the system (the Providence Police Force) to blindly follow the follow, but to do what he thought was the morally right thing to do even if that sometimes meant breaking the law by allowing Roxy and his other friends to smoke pot.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Steve was certainly not a hypocrite as he did everything within his power to protect his own which is the right thing to do in a normal circumstance.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I don't think Steve is a hypocrite. After seeing how corrupted and bad the police are, I think it is natural for him wanted to protect Roxy and his friends.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

Valerie Garske wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 08:51 It seems as if Steve looks the other way when it comes to drugs and Roxy. Just because he was not as bad as the others and had a hidden agenda, does that make it okay to pull a 'get out of jail free card' for Roxy and to smoke dope? Once he puts on the uniform, he should set an example and abide by the law. What do you think?
You can actually choose to see Steve as a hypocrite. However, I understand why he behaved the way he did. No one is perfect and even I might have done the same thing If I was in his shoes.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Savina Visintin »

I do not think he is an hypocrite, but sometimes he would have to think twice about what to do. When it comes to Roxy, he is always biased, and that's something that bothers me.
Sibongile Sifuya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sibongile-sifuya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sibongile Sifuya »

Sometimes one needs to make the right decision no matter how unpopular you become as a result. I believe Steve was brave and magnanimous enough to join the police in order to help resolve a problem that affected everyone. In most cases the right decision is unpopular. Steve was not a hypocrite.
Sibongile Sifuya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sibongile-sifuya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sibongile Sifuya »

Sometimes one needs to make the right decision no matter how unpopular you become as a result. I believe Steve was brave and magnanimous enough to join the police in order to help resolve a problem that affected everyone. In most cases the right decision is unpopular. Steve was not a hypocrite.
O-Brian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-o-brian.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by O-Brian »

Valerie Garske wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 08:51 It seems as if Steve looks the other way when it comes to drugs and Roxy. Just because he was not as bad as the others and had a hidden agenda, does that make it okay to pull a 'get out of jail free card' for Roxy and to smoke dope? Once he puts on the uniform, he should set an example and abide by the law. What do you think?
I agree. How can you profess to fight corruption and then engage in it when it suits you? One can be forgiven to believe that all Steve needed was a good enough price and his moral code would be a thing of the past. To fight corruption, impartiality is key, something he likes when Roxy is involved.
O-Brian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-o-brian.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by O-Brian »

Eva Nyaburi wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 12:40 I don't think he was a hypocrite because he just wanted to fit in with his pals. I could see that he was uncomfortable with what his friends were doing but also was afraid that he would lose them. Like everyone else, he was just human and could not do everything perfectly.
The problem is you can't fight anything with fear, let a lone dismantle a syndicate. What if his pals unknowingly needed someone to be their role model and their hope has joined them on the other side? What if he caught his pals selling drugs to school kids? On what grounds would he stand to correct them?
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Yes and no. He did give them a free pass, but I think he began to see the world for more than black and white. Once he became an officer, his world changed so much. He was no longer in his college bubble: he saw the reality of life. He absolutely made huge character changes in this story.
Ad_mInistrAtoR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ad-ministrator.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ad_mInistrAtoR »

I don't feel Steve was a hypocrite. He was more of an observer, analysing the things he saw before making decisions.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”