Overall rating and opinion of "Wild World by Peter S. Rush.

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Wild World by Peter S. Rush.

Post by Wash William »

This book basically talks about wars. The authors writing style kept me going it was amazing and very easy to comprehends. I loved the book setting and organisation. I was able to see war from two direction.
Raluca Reinerth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-reinerth.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Raluca Reinerth »

I did like the writing style. I found the experience of reading this book a pleasurable one.

So much violence and chaos is not my cup of tea, usually, but it was a nice break from what I am currently reading. I did give it a 4 out of 4 stars and I am waiting to see if my review will be published or not!
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I got a glimpse of the real police work throughout this book. This book is my fourth review. I observed that all of the author's background and identity is engraved in the books that they wrote. This book is one excellent example. Peter is a cop and a peace corps volunteer just like Steve Logan.I rate this 4 out of 4 because of the realistic and action-packed adventure.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Set during the Vietnam War after the shootings at Kent State, The story follows Steve Logan who is inspired to join the Providence Police Department and fight corruption from within the system. However, he soon realizes he’s been sheltered by the Ivy League bubble and learns about the complexities of setting out to make a change in the world. I liked that the author did an amazing job developing Steve’s character and depicting his emotional and mental turmoil after joining the police force. The only thing I did not like was that the story was slow-paced at times due to the overly descriptive nature of the book. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful read for me, and I would recommend it to lovers of historical fiction.
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Crabby69 »

I love everything about the book. The plot is interesting to me. And the cover page really speaks of the book's contents. so it deserves 4 out of 4 stars
Nnamah
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnamah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nnamah »

I think in terms of historical novels, the Vietnam War is not a popular subject, but this novel is able to communicate its underlying themes utilizing its events beautifully. I admire the characterization, and overall rate this book a 4 out of four stars.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I have enjoyed reading this book. Everything was on point, the plot,style and the character development was all great. I gave it a complete 4 out 4.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
AbbyOnencan
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by AbbyOnencan »

The book is extremely interesting. I read it on my way to work and back and was disappointed when I arrived because I did not want to stop reading. The message is very clear, we can make a difference wherever we are and no matter how much opposition we get.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

Wild world is a book about the Vietnam War and its effect on the lives of the people. The book portrays the fight for a better system by the youths. Steve is a brave soul that fought for a corrupt free world amidst the heavy corruption, killings, and injustice going on around him.
Jeffery Gary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeffery-gary.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Jeffery Gary »

My overall rating for this interesting book, "Wild World," is 4 out of 4 stars because of the author's descriptive writing skills and the interesting and engaging storyline it portrays.
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Crabby69 »

I appreciate the author's initiative in writing this book. It explains the significance of activism and how saddened it is to be under unfair war and risking younger ones that need protection into insecuring and mass death. The writing style depict its setting and there's nothing I didn't like in it
Clairene Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairene-williams.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Clairene Williams »

"Wild World" gives a good insight into what life was like around 1970.
The book takes us back to the Vietnam War; and the author explores that time through fictional characters and experiences. However, despite the fictionalized accounts, the writing conveys a sense of realness.
As the reader, I felt as though I could have known any of these students.
What I liked, is that the story has a strong, fearless, central character/protaganist - Stephen Logan. That sense of realness creeps in when Stephen starts to wonder if everything he has learnt about his country is wrong; when he sees hate and murder around him. I was drawn in as I watched the character move through confusion, to the realization that the hate and corruption going on around him, is not right.
The love story between Steve and Roxy was another pleasant aspect at the start of the novel.
And what I didn't like about the book; is that the relationship ends in betrayal. The disappointment stems greatly from the fact that Stephen Logan was a man who was trying to do right by her. While trying to make a difference in the world, as well. The author writes it in a way that the reader hurts just as much as Stephen does.

Being a Vietnam War themed book, the narrative is filled with cultural references to the time period.
This reflects either good research, or the subjective experience of the author.
As a non-American reader, I found myself having to do my own research by looking up numerous facts.
For instance, I came to find out that the Veitnam War was very unpopular with the larger part of the American public. Even to this day.
The Kent State University protest killings was an actual event. I didn't know that. I even had to look up who Walter Kronkite was.
And this added to what I know about the Vietnam War from my previous history books and from watching documentaries.
Peter Rush relays the same historical insight, with a lot of humanity.
I would recommend this book to friends and family. And I will definitely re-read "Wild World" .
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I enjoyed the storyline and that the book was about one person's different mindsets and choices by how the war and demonstrations against the war affected him. He tried to make a difference by altering his whole life plan that was already planned and set. Although the war is mentioned in the beginning, the book is about Steve's emotions and how it affected him.

Although it was a great storyline and plot, it took very long to get into the story as it was dragged out to me and I found a lot of mistakes and irregular writing and spacing throughout the book. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It has the potential to be really great after undergoing editing.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I enjoyed the storyline and that the book was about one person's different mindsets and choices by how the war and demonstrations against the war affected him. He tried to make a difference by altering his whole life plan that was already planned and set. Although the war is mentioned in the beginning, the book is about Steve's emotions and how it affected him.

Although it was a great storyline and plot, it took very long to get into the story as it was dragged out to me and I found a lot of mistakes and irregular writing and spacing throughout the book. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It has the potential to be really great after undergoing editing.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

This book is full of insight that gave a view of a complicated era and into the working systems of the police forces. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”