Student fragility and the Government sovereignty.

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Matilda jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matilda-jack.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Student fragility and the Government sovereignty.

Post by Matilda jack »

While reading Wild World and its first review, It occured to me that students are mosttimes on the receiving end of whatever thing that the government does. If a war, strike, or shutdown is declared by the government (irrespective of the country), the students' life trajectory will be greatly affected to the point of death. In respect to the killing of students within this book, what do you think?
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

I agree that students are greatly, and often times directly affected by government actions. I think the setting of the book is great example of a time in which this was very true. It is not always so directly violent, but the effects and the degree are just as severe.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

You are right with your assertions. Most especially in under-developed and developing countries the situation it is worse due to the lack of a working system. In respect to the killings in this book the story is the same. Students are most times on the receiving end of whatever actions the government takes and this have affected a lot of destinies.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

In my country, the government hates protests and anything that tends to point out their misdeeds. As a former student leader, I was arrested and intimidated by the government. All they wanted was to gag me. When they can't gag you, they unleash violence. I have led protests where we were beaten and molested by security agents on the orders of government. So, in my country, student unionism is an attack on the government.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I lived during this era, and I remember the atrocities that occurred. There was no reason for these four students to be murdered. I am curious to see if this book tries to justify these killings.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

I agree with you, just like the case in Nigeria. Students are on strike because of the poor decisions made by the government. Most wars begin from the people in power, they take out their beefing on their counterparts and in the process, the country suffers and the students suffer also. Because there cannot be any form of education in a state of war.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I would like to concur with you. This is in respect to the fact that most of the students have nothing that will help them in survival and additionally they have not yet quite developed to the status of being independent most especially psychologically and look up to adults for guidance. It therefore lies upon the grown ups to lead well and among them include the leaders.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

The innocent ones being affected by large scale political mishappening is still a prevalent issue today. It should not be the case but there is still a lack of proper management.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

You are absolutely right. Every action the government takes directly or indirectly affects the students. Though it is not always this violent whereby students are killed but the level of effects it has certainly needs a check to it. Ths book is just an example of what happens in the society today.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that students are wonderful individuals who are regularly affected by the policy decisions made by their government. In my perspective, the time period that is portrayed in the book is one in which the aforementioned phrase resonates especially true. Even if there isn't an obvious physical confrontation every time, the stakes and the tension remain consistently high.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I totally agree with you. This is because the students are politically handicapped that they are left with no other option than to succumb to whatever decision the government takes, mostly in under developed countries. This is evident currently in some countries.
The Nabongos Duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-nabongos-duchess.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by The Nabongos Duchess »

I think it's a difficult world for students especially when the older generation fails to understand them .Students seem not to be understood or even given enough room to express their feelings thus creating a gap in the society.I think they should be part of the process to avoid riots.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Students for some reason are always at the receiving end of any event that affect the country politically and economically. Every war and strikes affects their future plans and careers. They are sometimes used a hostage’s in a lot of situations and I believe that this book represents these facts properly.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

This book shows the translation of what occurs in reality. Like in most developing countries, students are forced to stay at home in the event of strikes even when the students have played their roles by paying fees. Also, in developed countries, school shootings are a result of poor decisions made by the government.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I do agree with your statement. Be it direct or indirect, students are always the ones getting affected by the decisions made by the government. It is a sad reality.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”