Student fragility and the Government sovereignty.

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Silvio Omutsiambo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvo.html
Latest Review: Beyond Abuse by Martha DuSage

Re: Student fragility and the Government sovereignty.

Post by Silvio Omutsiambo »

True. When students speak out the negatives of their governments, they always have to pay a price. In the process, schools break for unknown durations thus wasting time even for those who were not involved in the demonstrations.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

Students are not fully mature and as such, they should be protected instead of being sent off to war. The activists are personally threatened as they could be the ones sent to Vietnam and many of their friends were. The ones who actually knew what was going on had a right to disagree with it. Some of them were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I agree with you. It is saddening how true your statement is. Students are always left to suffer whenever the government takes irresponsible actions especially in some developing countries.
Boo_loves_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boo-loves-books.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Boo_loves_books »

I think the reason students are so vulnerable to the government's actions is because of their level of dependency on the government and because they are the age group that is most zealous in society. For instance, if there is a problem with the national budget or service delivery during times of unrest, students who attend public secondary and tertiary schools will feel the burden more than other groups of society that are most likely working in the private sector. Also, in many countries around the world, it is the youth that takes most of the burden of many of the country's problems (such as unemployment, inflation, gender-based violence, drug abuse, gang violence, racial attacks, conscription during times of war, etc.); therefore, the youth is most likely to protest and oppose the government because they constantly feel the effects of poor leadership.
Lulu Efobi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathy-eyam-frank.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lulu Efobi »

This is very true. Currently in my country students are facing the ills of the government. Since February 2022 till date, students have been refused from going to school. It is a very pathetic sight that students are always at the receiving end.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

We live in a world where money and power prevails. It is not about right or wrong and clearly the students do not understand this. The school system teaches that it is the right that wins but in the real world it's all about influence and power and that's why students clash with the government and end up paying for it because the government is bigger than them.
noelhope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelhope.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by noelhope »

I have to concede that students are the ones that are majorly affected by the government's decisions. This book has portrayed how the government can frustrate students.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Summer Henrietta wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 01:25 You are absolutely right. Every action the government takes directly or indirectly affects the students. Though it is not always this violent whereby students are killed but the level of effects it has certainly needs a check to it. Ths book is just an example of what happens in the society today.
I would reckon that an action is still violent even if blood is not shed. For example: passing laws that directly/indirectly inhibit economic growth of a certain population of people is violence.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I think foreign students or those from minority groups are more likely to be targeted in cases of war. They are easy targets to send a message to those they are at war with.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Matilda jack wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 10:34 While reading Wild World and its first review, It occured to me that students are mosttimes on the receiving end of whatever thing that the government does. If a war, strike, or shutdown is declared by the government (irrespective of the country), the students' life trajectory will be greatly affected to the point of death. In respect to the killing of students within this book, what do you think?
I think so too Jack. Students are often the first to get the hit of negativity in the society.
I just could relate when there was a riot in my location about 20 students were severely injured.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Matilda jack wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 10:34 While reading Wild World and its first review, It occured to me that students are mosttimes on the receiving end of whatever thing that the government does. If a war, strike, or shutdown is declared by the government (irrespective of the country), the students' life trajectory will be greatly affected to the point of death. In respect to the killing of students within this book, what do you think?
I think so too Jack. Students are often the first to get the hit of negativity in the society.
I just could relate when there was a riot in my location about 20 students were severely injured.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I agree that students lives are greatly affected by decisions of war, but also this affects the whole nation in general.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Optimnob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-optimnob.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Optimnob »

Indeed, every one of government policies does affect the students. Although not all end in students death, but most does break students to the point of death. Direct or not, these sad truth is on the government.
Nnekazoe
Currently Reading: Self-Help Sucks!
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnekazoe.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nnekazoe »

Students are always affected by government decisions. In my country Nigeria, most schools are headed by the government and any drastic and negative decision can bring about a delay in a student's future career.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Sadly when two elephants fight the grass will suffer. Students welfare depend heavily on a peaceful and sensitive government which is disappearing in some parts of the world.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”