Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Re: Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Post by Buk Nerd »

Killing in the name of national interest is never justified. Killing unarmed protesters and innocent civilians has nothing to do with protecting the national interest. Unfortunately, people in power will always find a way to spin atrocious acts as being for the greater good.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

It's justified to them unless it affects them. I can't seem to understand how the government can make such decisions. How can it be in the interest of the nation when you're killing part of the nation? Beats me.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

Arbitrary killings in the name of national interest is far from justice. No matter how, other people's blood shouldn't be used as sacrifice for the nation
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

No. Killing to preserve the national interest is not ever justified. Using that perspective you can get into all sorts of evil kinds of government. However, I do think that when your life is in danger that is a different story.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 19:55 Most of the time, we see governments killing people arbitrarily in the name of national interest. In the beginning pages of this book, the author brings to light how the security operatives opened fire on young children on a one million march.

Is killing in the name of the national interest justified?
Due to my personal bias, killing in the name of the government can never be justified, regardless of how much the author tries to justify it, it just can't be justified for me.
Soma45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma45.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma45 »

Killing, in general, is unjustifiable, I was in support of the demonstrations Steve and his friends participated in for peace and for their voices to be heard
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

It can never be justified. If you want to protect national interest, you have to protect the citizens and not kill them.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

It sounds like an intersting topic. I think killing arbitrarily in the name of national interest isn't justified. But they think taht it's just okay because they always get away with their wrong doings.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

Naturally, national interest should reflect the interest of the people. What national interest justified opening fire on children? I was enraged and rightly so. I don't subscribe to arbitrary killings in the name of national interests.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

Never! It is never justified. What separates a serial killer, murderer or psychopath from a normal human being will show in a situation like that in the beginning of the book. The security operatives would have looked for ways to contain or trap or restrain, not kill (children). There was definitely a psychopath in government who gave the order. Killing like this should not be justified.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I do not believe shooting at the public is ever justified. The police brutality of protesters is unconstitutional. Unfortunately, I believe governments like to show their power by using such measures of violence.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

No arbitrary killing is never justified, and that is why I think it is a good to start the book. Giving the audience no context shows that there are no reasons for this killing.
Judy knight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-knight.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Judy knight »

I don't think killing in the name of national interest is justified. The duty of the police is to keep all citizens safe. Even in situations like a protest, the police is meant to use force if they don't keep to the rules of a peaceful protest. Killing is not allowed.
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

There's no justification whatsoever for arbitrary killings and can never be of national interest. This play of politics was one that when I read it, I shuddered.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

It's never okay to kill someone in the name of the greater good of the country, and sometimes cops abuse the authority they get from wearing a badge and carrying a gun. None of the students who were killed on campus were carrying weapons, so there is no justification for the security personnel's actions.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”