Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Post by maycherono91 »

This was so wrong on so many levels. Killing is never an option. It will only bring many more protests and growing unreat in the country.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I'm not sure if I could say that killing randomly would be justified under any circumstances. However I can say that it didn't surprise me at all. I am inclined to believe that justified or not, it is more common than what we'd like to know about.
Noor ul Ain 3
Currently Reading: FINAL ACT
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Noor ul Ain 3 »

I honestly believe that killing in the name of national interest especially when you have not presented a case in front of the general public is not justified at all. There have been cases where the officials used their power in order to carry out their own agenda. Similarly, we cannot be the deciders to take someone's life because we 'feel' they are a threat to national security.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

No, arbitrary killing is not justified. It is inhumane. Leading with violent force will prolong and fuel resistance to national interests. It won't solve opposing views. It distracts from the issues at hand and the violence can never end until one side gives in. When the priest was protesting against landlords raising rent prices on the poor, the violence escalated between the police and protesters. The police were yelling and shoving at protesters who were passively resisting. They decided to take down Father Schmidt for making peaceful speeches. The violence and chaos just escalated and nothing was resolved from it.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

It is a thing of sadness and completely menacing for individuals to lose their lives all in the name of national interest. This act should be highly discouraged and prevented.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

Most times, we see protesters losing their lives while in the process. They do this, not for selfish interest but sometimes for the national interest. This should he highly discouraged, as such killings violates their rights.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Governments have arbitrary powers that even the Constitution of most countries can't contain or curtail these powers. Sometimes when these killings take place, they are usually done in a failed state. Revolution is often the answer. There's no justification for killing of civilians, let alone children.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Arbitrary killing in the name of national interest cannot be justified. Police are meant to protect lives and not destroy them. What is portrayed in this book is actually what is happening in some countries. Where youths are brutally murdered because they are protesting for a systemic change.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

No it's not jistified. I never trust a government even as far as I can throw it! Rush captues the essence of the Vietnam War perfectly in Steve's exchange with his dad descibing it as without objective, noting that Vietnam didn't attack the U.S. Yet, somehow, protesting against the war in unpatriotic? Plus, the Government, by it's acquiescence, was predisposed to killing through, not just the national guard, but also that corrupt Providence police force and administration Rush described in the book. Doesn't this show politicians' interests rather than national ones?
Emmanuel Odoemena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-odoemena.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Emmanuel Odoemena »

No, it is not justified. Believe me when I say that because I come from a country where that is the norm.

Killing in the name of national interest is inhumane. It is against the basic law of nature.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

It is never acceptable to kill non-violent, unarmed civilians in the name of national security.
Shandre Michaels
Currently Reading: Bad Feminist
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shandre-michaels.html
Latest Review: Apocalypse Reckoning 2.0 by William Acie Singleton

Post by Shandre Michaels »

Killing in the name of national interest is a double edge sword. There are arguments for both sides in that it can be argued that killing is wrong because it's considered a sin but it can also be argued that a murderer being put to death is justified.
Don Elizabeth Sophia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-elizabeth-sophia.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Don Elizabeth Sophia »

No, killing in the name of national interest is not justified. Human life should not mean so little to any organization, institution or person.
Philp Luvington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philp-luvington.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Philp Luvington »

That can never be justified. Any person that justifies that is a monster. The government could have just arrested the people in the book rather than kill them.
WP Oprah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wp-oprah.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by WP Oprah »

I think it depends on a lot of factors. If the people being killed pose no threat whatsoever to the security of the country, then killing them is unjustified. This is where the killing of those children fall into.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”