Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Post by princejal »

I don't agree with this at all. I feel the government has placed too much authority in the hands of people who are not qualified to wield it and as such this leads to bad decisions and careless loss of life. I feel that more can and discipline needs to be instilled in security operators to ensure they minimise casualty and damages .
Jennifer-Annie Abdul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookthumper.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Jennifer-Annie Abdul »

Killing in the name of the national interest of a country is not justified. The was the government killed those people in the book and covered it up with 'it was for national interest' was wrong and they should be sanctioned for that.
Hughes Davidson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughes-davidson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hughes Davidson »

Killing in the name of national interest is not something that can be justified. So, the answer to you question is no.
Bella Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-prince.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bella Prince »

No, killing in the name of the national interest is not justified. There are better ways to handles threats than just wiping those people off the face of this planet.
Jillian Onessimo
Currently Reading: Discards
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Jillian Onessimo »

Killing is never justified, so in the name of national interest it isn't justified. Throughout history this is something that has happened in many countries, but the country I live in does not find it justifiable. Norms within a different culture in a country, however, may find it justifiable.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Not in my opinion. But I come from a non-belligerent country, and I understand there are different worldviews. I think unless there's no other way (take, for example, Hitler. He wasn't going to be persuaded by other means) war is never a good idea.
Jankal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jankal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Jankal »

In my opinion, there are better ways to work on interests of a nation other than taking a life. I believe if you aren't able to create a life, then you have no business taking one.
Rina Neiman
Currently Reading: Before They Are Hanged
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rina-neiman.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Rina Neiman »

I think killing civilians is never justifiable, but also it's not necessarily avoidable, at least not in every situation. For example, a lot of the times terrorist groups put the weapon stashes and military targets incide civilian areas, in houses with where children live and even in schools and hospitals. In situations like this it's really complicated, because obviously they dont deserve to die, but sometimes for national security reasons the military targets have to be taken down.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

Killing in the name of national interest can never be justified. In the case of the university students, it is meant to silence them. Military personnel are deployed to campuses and police officers show off physical force to scare away protesters. In a country where this is done, citizens will be traumatised to the extent of never speaking up against injustice again. Such traumatised youths will become a gagged generation. They will no longer have the courage to criticise the government even though it's a good thing to do.
anne Irungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-irungu.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by anne Irungu »

There is no justification that is enough for taking away the life of another, even if it is for national interest. I believe that life is sacred.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Killing is never justified. There are other ways of dealing with lawbreakers such as arrests etc. But taking someone's life is like playing God.
Gordons Gordons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordons-gordons.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Gordons Gordons »

Killing in the name of the national interest cannot be justified. I wonder how anybody can justify that. It is immoral, criminal, and wicked. Simple.
Lilian Kikimoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilian-kikimoe.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lilian Kikimoe »

There is no reason why the government should kill when it could have placed those people under arrest and prosecute them. This thing always baffles me and it is annoying.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

No, never is killing in the name of the national interest justified. Government exists to protect its people by killing the very people they are supposed to protect any justification does not stand. Even if the reasons are justified, killing is not; there were many ways they could have dealt with the situations without killing.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

Killing innocent children in the name of national interest is inhumane. Terrorists who constantly terrorize a nation can be served that fate but not innocent citizens.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”