Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Arbitrary killing in the name of national Interest

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Most of the time, we see governments killing people arbitrarily in the name of national interest. In the beginning pages of this book, the author brings to light how the security operatives opened fire on young children on a one million march.

Is killing in the name of the national interest justified?
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I don't think it's justified. The police must protect the life and property of the people of a nation which is their primary duty. then if killing people you are meant to protect in the national interest is what they take as a responsibility, then the government should review the work of police officers.to me, it's by no way justified. police have no right to kill rather than to protect and safeguard.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

No, I do not believe in killing people arbitrarily in the name of national interest. I do not believe that it can be justified.
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

This book evokes memories. I don't understand how governments can be very insensitive. In my country, on 20th October, 2020, soldiers opened fire at a group of unarmed youth protesting against police brutality and harrasmemt of young people. And a lot of youths lost their lives. Actions like are cruel and barbaric. Government is meant to lives and properties. Not to randomly kill people on a peaceful protest. Arbitrary killing of people for any reason whatsoever is wrong. It can't be justified in any way.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

It's definitely incredibly tragic when protestors die in the course of exercising their right to free speech. This is certainly a complex topic, since we also rely on law enforcement to protect our security. It's helpful that there is so much more video proof in recent years since there are more civilian cameras and more body-cameras for law enforcement, so there can be a more fair assessment of whether there's justification for use of force.
Miss_Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-alice.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Miss_Alice »

Isn't it amazing how people can be divided into two types; one who would say different excuses and the other blatantly admit. In reality, those two type of people only varies on how they have enough galls to say it.

I wonder how the author used the setting and the characters to sketch redeemable morally gray characters and characters that seems much closer to us or our family in character but we couldn't seem to sympathize?
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

No. I think government/people who target women and children are weak. I think killing just for the sake of killing is some of the worst evil in the world. War is messy and every country has done things in times of war that they should be ashamed of. So, no, killing in the name of national interest is not justified. Neither is killing in the name of religion or revenge. So, my final answer is cold-blooded killing is not justified no matter the circumstances.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

Killing unarmed people who are not violent in the name of national interest is never justified.
exbestfriend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exbestfriend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by exbestfriend »

While some people would agree that national interest stands above all else, however, I think it's very unnecessary. Mass killings of innocent people is a horrible way to protect the national interest.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

No, I don't agree that killing in the name of national interest is right. I believe that all life is important. This is why I felt very bad while reading that part of the book. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence during most uprisings.
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

I feel like this is tyrannical. National interest implies it is what everyone in that nation wants, it is something to protect the public interest. The problem that arises next is who is included in the public? Who gets a say?
It runs the danger of being very limiting.
How do you justify going to these lengths to impose beliefs on another group of people?
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

No. Remember, every atrocities, in order to be carried out, they are pushed as doing it out of "national interest." That's a perfect propaganda, to control uninformed people. So no, it is never justified.
Matilda jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matilda-jack.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Matilda jack »

In my opinion, the government will always find a way to justify the cruel things that they do. I cannot justify the killing, but I believe that there is a reason for every action.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

Killing in the name of national interest is unjustified, and sometimes the police officers abuse their power conferred by the uniform and the weapon. The kids killed on the campus were not armed, and there is no reason for the security operatives' actions to be justified.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

No, killing in the name of national interest is not justified. However, war is not fair. A lot of injustice is perpetrated because either party wants to influence the other to have their way. In the process, several methods are used. Unfortunately, killing, regardless of whom, is one.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”